PDA

View Full Version : Northern Black Korhaan

Stu Bowie
12-13-2015, 10:53 PM
This is a first for me, as these guys are very skittish, and not often seen. Unfortunately, I was shooting against the light, but the bonus was when he decided to call his mate - what an incredible sound, and he was close to my car. Taken early morning, in the nature reserve close to where I live.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8
1/640
F/8.0
ISO 1000

Manual exposure.

christopher galeski
12-14-2015, 01:55 AM
very nice Stuart,like the pose,great detail,and the environment,well done and nice find.

Thinus Schoeman
12-14-2015, 02:32 AM
Excellent detail Stu, good contrast against the soft green background. Well captured!

keith mitchell
12-14-2015, 04:20 AM
Now Stuart this really does pop from the Bg,shouting at his mate call and a nice diffused backdrop, love those Yellow scaly legs ,would love to live near an African game nature reserve, you lucky man.

Keith.

Rachel Hollander
12-14-2015, 07:50 AM
Hi Stu - Great calling pose and I like the bit of habitat included and placement in frame. Nice job on the exp with good detail in both the blacks and the whites. Nice one.

TFS,
Rachel

Joseph Przybyla
12-14-2015, 08:13 AM
What a neat looking bird, beautiful colors and pattern in the feathers. Your timing was spot on to capture the call to it's mate. Thank you for sharing, Stu.

Grace Scalzo
12-14-2015, 08:59 AM
What a nice image, everything looks spot on and I appreciate the calling pose and all the interesting details. You must be thrilled to have this one in your collection.

Bill Dix
12-14-2015, 09:05 AM
What a great looking bird, and a calling pose to top it off. I suspect shooting against the light may have been a benefit here. In any case, you managed good exposure on blacks and whites. Love the habitat, and the detail on the legs.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Congratulations! Stu. Great calling pose from this beautiful bird. The image quality is tremendous. The soft light brings out all the detail and richness. The dried grass, flowering plants and nice BG add to this beauty.

Saying his calling sound was incredible, sparked my interest, so I researched it and what a sound it is.

Geoffrey

Stu Bowie
12-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Saying his calling sound was incredible, sparked my interest, so I researched it and what a sound it is.

Thanks Geoff. Glad you enjoyed it - hope you played nice and loud. :w3

Thank you all for the great feedback. Always appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
12-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Great shot Stu, I like the pose and the setting, quality is outstanding - well done.

gail bisson
12-14-2015, 03:47 PM
The light looks fine to me!
What a great bird you captured! Calling pose is "killer".
IQ, exposure spot on.
Love the vegetation and nice that we can see a bit of the feet behind the little plant. You must have been thrilled to get this.
Gail

Ross Taylor
12-14-2015, 04:11 PM
Hi Stu,

Wow! I love those "big mouth" shots ;) The colors of the bill and legs really contrast great against the very well exposed black and white body plumage. IQ is great and I love the texture of the background.

This is no doubt a fantastic shot as is. I would feel tempted to clone back the 2 branches of vegetation that intersects his breast.

TFS
Ross

Karl Egressy
12-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Nice calling pose captured, Stu. Great detail and pattern. The plants around the bird look very nice, so is the OOF background.
I also listened to the call on the Internet, it is pretty impressive.

William Dickson
12-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Beautiful frame Stu, in all aspects. Bird, FG and BG compliment each other very sweetly. I love the pose.

In answer to your question on my bluetit image "I see the 5D Mark III gets more of a workout than the 1D Mark IV" I feel more confident using the Mk4 when it is nice and sunny, and we aint had a lot of that recently :w3

Thanks for sharing this fab image

Will

David Salem
12-15-2015, 12:56 AM
This is fantastic Stu. I really like the calling pose with the tongue showing and the killer feather details. The smooth green BG looks great along with the plants and I love the texture of the legs. Well done

Marina Scarr
12-16-2015, 08:33 AM
This image is quite impressive. Love the calling pose but jut as much is how well the vegetation frames your image.