PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Seal bulls having an argument

Andreas Liedmann
12-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi folks just another frame from the same landing site on South Georgia ( Fortuna bay ) and very close taken to the previous image i posted .
These two adult but not fully grown bulls where checking out their power , but in a soft way .... not really fighting more display .
I managed to go low in this case ... same technique as described in previous post ... crawling on all fours , finally flatten down on my belly and hope for the best not to be flattened by one of this guys , roughly about 4m long fully stretched .

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 24-105 IS L
HH at 105 mm

F 8 ; Iso 800 ; 1/ 1000 ; man exp
with HS i should have upped the ISO to gain more speed and DOF :e3

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC ; cropped and leveled for comp . This time i pushed things a bit more compared to previous posting .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
12-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Wow great low POV Andreas, like the open mouths and the pose of the two. Good to see the back drop too. Colours look good as well. TFS.

Rachel Hollander
12-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Hi Andreas - Great low pov and you can almost smell the fish breath! The image gives a nice perspective on how big these guys really are. I like the bg and slight foggy feel too. It works for me.

TFS,
Rachel

Mike Poole
12-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Loving the low POV - it really does give some scale to the shot, especially as you've managed to be so close to the action.

Mike

haseeb badar
12-14-2015, 09:09 AM
Hi Andreas -- LSuperb low angle , and that backdrop makes the image for me , lovely colors and tones also . To me it appears a bit soft , i feel a round of sharpening might help .

TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
12-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks Sanjeev, Rachel, Mike and Haseeb for your comments , much appreciated .

Haseeb right after upload i also thought it could be a tad sharper ....

So here is a sharper version with Smart Sharpen applied

Cheers Andreas

Andre Pretorius
12-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Hi Andreas

Is this the Battle of the breaths?:t3
Love the angle and the BG!
Yes agree with slow SS- could have got more detail with faster SS.
Would expect more detail in darks from you and Mr TK?
Just me..
We posted at same time....would have to look again,...OK looks much better on sharpness.:eek3:

Andreas Liedmann
12-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Hi Boetie thank you for your comment ....much appreciated .
Mr TK and me decided to keep the detail low in this post ... for the shadows :bg3: , but for sure i could've gone for more .

Hope you can live with it for the moment ... next post might be the same .

Cheers Andreas

Mark Needham
12-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Awesome interaction captured here. Love the low angle and background that gives context. Works for me. TFS :bg3:

Arthur Morris
12-19-2015, 04:30 PM
Love this one, the interaction and the perspective are great. The one on our right needs a tongue washing! a