EF 100-400 MK II
EF 1.4TC MK III
560mm
f/8
1/500
ISO 400, 640, 1000, 1000 in order

Marina Scarr
12-12-2015, 08:43 PM
How I would love to just witness a raptor bathing!!! The third image where the hawk is submerged is so interesting and unique, but my favorite image is probably the last one. Thanks for sharing and lucky you!!

Gabriela Plesea
12-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Hello John! Super cool shots of this Hawk bathing!

This works for me, nice story-telling, images well composed and well timed.

Interesting subject and the frames work well together in documenting the behaviour of this raptor.

This might look easy, but it's not. Good photographic narration is rarely achieved "by chance"...You have to focus, frame, calculate light...most importantly, strategise on how to convey the message. In this case, you made sure the moments captured add up to the "plot" - a bit like a literary tale. Your first two images create a degree of "tension", as well as introduce the viewer to the character and the setting. Then some nice action follows with the subject diving into the water, concluding with the last frame where the Hawk is surfacing:) It all lasted only a few seconds I am sure, yet your images contain a narrative of their own - I really enjoyed viewing your sequence, John. Many thanks for sharing, I appreciate your contribution here and hoping to see more:cheers:

Kind regards,

John Hackney
12-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Thank you Gabriela. It was a fun time waiting and seeing what was going to happen.

John Hackney
12-13-2015, 09:36 PM
How I would love to just witness a raptor bathing!!! The third image where the hawk is submerged is so interesting and unique, but my favorite image is probably the last one. Thanks for sharing and lucky you!!

Thank you Marina. I feel lucky is very right. I was surprised to see the hawk on the rocks to start. I just decided to take advantage of it posing.

Jack Dean III
01-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Nice sequence. :)