PDA

View Full Version : Insect dilemna !

Kaushik Balakumar
06-06-2008, 05:48 PM
This insect was a beautiful subject but I am not so satisfied with the outcome. I feel the subject is not well isolated form the yellow BG. When I tried going further lower, there was another petal of the flower in the front obstructing the view.

Any tips from the macro experts as to how to isolate subject in such conditions ? Or any other means to bring more out of such situations ? Or simply don't photograph it !!??

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/98228933.jpg

Nikon D300 + Nikkor 105mm VR;
f/11, 1/30, ISO640

Alfred Forns
06-06-2008, 08:13 PM
As presented is not bad at all !!! Agree with you in trying to isolate more. If moving around as you did was good then just wait for the insect to move? It is a wonderful subject and well worth the wait !!!!

As he moves around keep in mind the aperture .... For some poses you probably want to go wide open since the entire bug won't be in focus any way, other poses you can maximize the dof !!! I like this a lot btw the frame is well made and attractive I'm just tend not to like any feel they take from the subject but its entirely personal taste !!!!

Steve Wheeler
06-06-2008, 09:22 PM
It IS a beautiful subject!

Kaushik...You mentioned not isolated from the yellow BG... Seems like maybe it could've gone either way? That gorgeous lime green looks pretty good to me against the yellow too.

Mike Moats
06-07-2008, 05:45 AM
Hey Kaushik, you found a very cool subject that I think is worthy of shooting even under tough conditions. I agree with Al about shooting wide open or up to 5.6 and than focus on the eye. I know Robert is out of town so maybe when he gets back online he will have more help on this, as I'm not as good at the bug shots.

Kaushik Balakumar
06-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions.
:)

David Chauvin
06-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Kaushik,,,,,,Insect photography in the field can be very frustrating when it comes to clean settings. When the classic shot just isn't possible, you have two options. Walk away or experiment. The minimum depth of field approach is an option. A different angle, like straight down or maybe lower and through a gap in the petals is another. From your tech info I would guess that you were hand holding so that makes it even easier to fine tune your angle of approach.

Bob Allen
06-07-2008, 07:54 PM
The comp is fine, though I would tighten up the top & right. Katydids (this one is a nymph) eat flowers & leaves, so seeing it among plant parts is completely natural.

I'd like to see more dof to bring the eye, antennae, and legs into view. Katydids have their 'ears' at the base of their front tibiae. Waiting for it to extend the right front leg would expose that organ and add interest to the shot, IMHO.

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey Kaushik,
Just wish for a bit of a better angle............don't mind the colors at all. With insects.........failure rate is pretty high as we can't contol thier movement...........almost like wing position with birds...........keep taking the images.........and try repositioning if posiible!