PDA

View Full Version : Ele's stealing water

Tobie Schalkwyk
12-08-2015, 09:20 AM
This is probably not a landscape shot but rather an 'animalscape'? The Kruger National Park (South Africa) has a few dams from which they keep water troughs filled with water. The dams are filled from boreholes and from what I could pick up via Google, have been built from the early 1900's in areas where human-built dams upstream interfered with (dried up) natural water resources. The ele's prefer the higher water volumes from the dams however and help themselves accordingly. If anyone could add info re. this it would be welcomed (Morkel?). I liked how the presence of the wind pump added value in terms of composition and therefore took the shot.

Slight crop in LR for straightening the horizon. General adjustments and the graduated filter tool used to get more detail from the sky.

All C&C's welcome.

Nikon D600
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR @ 78mm
f/8 | 1/800s | 800 ISO | Beanbag in car window

Don Railton
12-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Hi Tobie

Compositional wise I would have moved to the right a little more to seperate the eles from the wind mill frame a little more, also i would prefer the image decentered, ie cropped to move the windmill to the left a little more.. Processing wise it looks a little flat, ie a little more mid level contrast will help IMHO. I do like the story behind the image, and the surrounds show nicely the harsh country the eles are living in

DON

Tobie Schalkwyk
12-09-2015, 12:44 AM
Hi Tobie

Compositional wise I would have moved to the right a little more to seperate the eles from the wind mill frame a little more, also i would prefer the image decentered, ie cropped to move the windmill to the left a little more.. Processing wise it looks a little flat, ie a little more mid level contrast will help IMHO. I do like the story behind the image, and the surrounds show nicely the harsh country the eles are living in

DON

Thanks for looking & commenting Don! Unfortunately a physical move to the right was not possible due to the position of the viewing area (for cars). I have removed some space on the left and increased midtone contrasts:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=157543&d=1449639641

Diane Miller
12-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Increasing contrast has made the elephants even darker, making them a little more indistinguishable against the structure, and hasn't changed much for the sky. I don't know what software you're using but I'd consider some increase in detail in the darks and lights, which is the opposite of contrast. It can be started by the Shadows and Highlights sliders in LR and topped off in Nik CEP's Detail Extractor and Tonal Contrast (used very carefully).

Tobie Schalkwyk
12-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Increasing contrast has made the elephants even darker, making them a little more indistinguishable against the structure, and hasn't changed much for the sky. I don't know what software you're using but I'd consider some increase in detail in the darks and lights, which is the opposite of contrast. It can be started by the Shadows and Highlights sliders in LR and topped off in Nik CEP's Detail Extractor and Tonal Contrast (used very carefully).

Thanks for commenting and for spending time in creating your version Diane! I must admit if I lighten up the ele's a bit, I won't take it further than what they appear like in my OP (I use the CC 2015 versions of LR & PS).

David Cowling
12-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Nice story behind this image. Faults have already been commented on with good advice given. I would have liked to have seen an image with just the elephants and without the windpump, as I think this is where the story is, but you perhaps didn't have a longer lens with you at the time. Having said that I still think this is an interesting landscape image which shows us the natural environment of South Africa.

Tobie Schalkwyk
12-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Nice story behind this image. Faults have already been commented on with good advice given. I would have liked to have seen an image with just the elephants and without the windpump, as I think this is where the story is, but you perhaps didn't have a longer lens with you at the time. Having said that I still think this is an interesting landscape image which shows us the natural environment of South Africa.

Thanks for looking & commenting, David! A shot of ele's (only) would have taken up a spot in the Wildlife forum but I don't believe there's enough interest without the windpump. So, this one's just for you @ 180mm: :w3

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=157679&d=1450198255

David Cowling
12-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Thanks Tobie. Love it. We don't have a lot of elephants around here!!

Andrew McLachlan
12-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Hi Tobie, an interesting image and historical bit...for me I would like to see more separation between the windmill and the elephants...a couple of steps to the right would have been perfect.

Tobie Schalkwyk
12-22-2015, 11:55 PM
...for me I would like to see more separation between the windmill and the elephants...a couple of steps to the right would have been perfect.

Me too Andrew - unfortunately that was not possible due to physical restrictions! Thanks for looking & commenting! :S3: