PDA

View Full Version : SNOW GOAT-THEME

gary ellwein
12-08-2015, 12:50 AM
This image is a few years old. The goats were near Alpine, Wyoming. They come down from the high country in the winter. Post Processing included CEP4 Subtle Cool Paper Toner and a Topaz Texture.

Dennis Bishop
12-08-2015, 11:09 AM
This is terrific. In spite of all the other white, the goat stands out very clearly. The angle of its body, its lowered head, and its long hair tell the story. Because you didn't mention adding the falling snow, I assume that's pretty much the way it was captured, and it's effective. Your very subtle application of the paper toner does its intended task without being over the top. Very nice job.

Mitch Carucci
12-08-2015, 04:11 PM
As Dennis observed, the goat does pop out of the image. The texture of the fur works here. A great image for the theme. Looks cold!

Kerry Perkins
12-08-2015, 11:43 PM
I really like the toning of the image, very subtle yet adding a lot of character. I love how the natural textures work together to delineate the different elements of the image. Cool indeed! :c3:

Nancy Bell
12-09-2015, 04:22 PM
This is fabulous! Love the lowered head, leaning forward body position of the goat as it makes its way through the falling snow! Great visual balance/composition of the foreground stalks and the falling snow in the sky, with the well-coated goat in-between. Nice hints of pink coming through for a subtle bit of color.

Judy Howle
12-09-2015, 08:11 PM
I have to say that's the best mountain goat image I've ever seen!! The long hair has such good contrast that it really stands out. Ditto others on the "pose" of the goat and the toning, and I love the snow!

Wendy Kates
12-10-2015, 11:41 PM
I agree with all of the comments above! This is a terrific image, and perfect for the theme!

Diane Miller
12-12-2015, 01:54 PM
All said above -- simply wonderful!!

Anita Bower
12-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Great image. Dynamic position of the goat. I like the details, which are especially good on the face, and which draw my eyes there. The grasses, the snow, the dark bg all work beautifully. The slight pink is a surprising and effective touch. This is a great looking goat.

Cheryl Slechta
12-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Hi, Gary, sorry I'm so late commenting and it looks like it has all been said but let me add my compliment - this is a gorgeous image from capture through post processing.:S3:

gary ellwein
12-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Thanks to all for the positive comments. It is hard to go wrong with this magnificent animal as the subject. A good back story would have me slogging uphill for hours through the blizzard to his rocky lair. That would be a lie. Late in the winter, this fellow's herd migrates to a spot above the Snake River near Alpine, Wyoming. They browse on a steep hillside above the highway connecting Alpine with Jackson Hole. Photographers position themselves on the narrow shoulder of the highway and try to avoid becoming road kill. I guess that does add a bit of adventure to the tale.

Anita Bower
12-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks to all for the positive comments. It is hard to go wrong with this magnificent animal as the subject. A good back story would have me slogging uphill for hours through the blizzard to his rocky lair. That would be a lie. Late in the winter, this fellow's herd migrates to a spot above the Snake River near Alpine, Wyoming. They browse on a steep hillside above the highway connecting Alpine with Jackson Hole. Photographers position themselves on the narrow shoulder of the highway and try to avoid becoming road kill. I guess that does add a bit of adventure to the tale.
Thanks for the back story. :bg3: It doesn't have to be difficult to be good.

Andrew McLachlan
12-22-2015, 09:30 PM
Beautiful work Gary...I love it!

Anita Bower
01-04-2016, 05:02 PM
This is an outstanding image, deserving of first place.