PDA

View Full Version : Go Away!

John Hackney
12-05-2015, 01:33 PM
I saw a male Northern Harrier, also called a Gray Ghost, making some swoops over the vegetation and decided to see why. This coyote was considered a threat as it was nesting season for the harriers.

And STAY OUT!

I'll show you!

Canon 7D
EF 100-400 MK I
1/1000
f/5.6
ISO 400

Gabriela Plesea
12-05-2015, 03:56 PM
This is awesome, John!

Looks like the coyote has had enough of the harrier:) Very interesting interaction and I am so glad you shared this with us!

What were the lighting conditions like, at the time?

Love the last two frames portraying a very annoyed coyote...He probably deserves it, he must have been "in the wrong place, at the wrong time"? Kindly tell us more if possible...also, I would like to know where do those harriers nest?

Kind regards,

John Hackney
12-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Thank you Gabriela.

Conditions were solid overcast gray.

The harriers make their nests in the vegetation. Not sure if it is on the ground or a platform in the vegetation though.

Gabriela Plesea
12-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Dear John,

I would appreciate it if you found out and let me know - I always thought harriers nest somewhere off the ground:)

Your coyote reminds me of our jackals around here - cunning, great hunters, full of character, also funny sometimes. I truly enjoyed this sequence - thank you!

Kind regards,

John Hackney
12-06-2015, 05:02 PM
I found they do nest on the ground and sometimes on a slight mound but hidden in vegetation.

Marina Scarr
12-12-2015, 08:46 PM
This is one heck of a sequence you captured here. I've never seen or heard of anything like it. That last capture is simply amazing. I wonder how much of a crop this is. I just tried recropping your final frame with some off of the bottom and right and down just a tad from the top to just past the dark line. I feel it makes the image even more powerful! Thanks for sharing this amazing series.

Diane Miller
12-19-2015, 01:51 PM
What a fantastic thing to see, and a great capture of it! Once again, the last frame is priceless!!

John Hackney
07-22-2016, 06:48 PM
This is one heck of a sequence you captured here. I've never seen or heard of anything like it. That last capture is simply amazing. I wonder how much of a crop this is. I just tried recropping your final frame with some off of the bottom and right and down just a tad from the top to just past the dark line. I feel it makes the image even more powerful! Thanks for sharing this amazing series.

Thank you Marina. It is about 33% max vertically. I apologize for getting back to these so late.

I agree on tightening the crop a wee bit as you suggested does make a better image.

John Hackney
07-22-2016, 06:48 PM
What a fantastic thing to see, and a great capture of it! Once again, the last frame is priceless!!

Thank you Diane.