PDA

View Full Version : Skipper on Devil''s-bit Scabious

Jerry van Dijk
12-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Photographed in Denmark, I'm not sure about the exact species of Skipper. This was taken on a gloomy and overcast day, which provided me with nice even lighting. I wasn't able to get the full flower in the plane of focus, because I had to get in very close to get this small butterfly large enough in the frame.
Nikon D7000, 200mm Micro, handheld, ISO-500, f/14, 1/100 sec, +0.3 EV.

Diane Miller
12-05-2015, 02:09 PM
I don't mind the loss of focus on part of the flower -- the butterfly is sharp and that's what matters. The softness on the flower works well with the soft light, for me. Lovely colors, too.

Steve Maxson
12-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Hi Jerry. The skipper gave you a nice pose and I like the colors, comp, light, and background. I'm impressed with the sharpness hand held at 1/100! I would prefer more DOF on the flower, but under the circumstances, you had little option other than stacking. :S3: In any case, this is very nice image!

Jonathan Ashton
12-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Jerry I like the image but I think the butterfly could do with being a little sharper or possibly reduce the brightness in the butterfly a tad, I get the impression there is more definition to be had, the flower is ok because the butterfly holds my eye as it were, the background couldn't better.

Dave Johnson
12-15-2015, 12:33 AM
Hi Jerry. Nice picture. I would sharpen it a little more and if mine, would add some on the top. Love the soft light.

Arthur Morris
12-19-2015, 09:54 PM
I like the soft light and the colors and love the BKGR. Count me in the nothing is really sharp here camp.... The portions of the flower on this side of the plane of focus really pull my eye away from the skipper. This would be difficult even with a sturdy tripod.....