PDA

View Full Version : Red Headed Jackal

Andreas Liedmann
12-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Hi folks ,
have not seen a Jackal posted for a longer time , i might be wrong , at least i feel it is the case . So here i come up with a frame taken in Etosha in 2011.
There was a Wildebeest carcass very close to Namoutoni Camp .... it was late early morning and there was only one Hyena at the carcass :eek3: and this Jackal , all of the Wildebeest looked intact just the stomach opened up by the Hyena ?
Both have been very nervous , all of a sudden the Hyena disappeared and the Jackal took his chance and went deep into the guts ....... but only very quickly and then left the place crossing my lens .....
Nothing more happened ???? No other predators came on the stage ??? Both were gone !! just the Wildebeest stayed :bg3:, sometimes nature is strange from human perspective . For the whole day the carcass stayed there and nothing happened apart of some crows .

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 500 IS L + 1,4 TC
beanbag

F 8 ; Iso 1250 ; 1/1000 ; full frame

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC ; tiny bits removed / blended ; i would have liked more space around but it was not there :t3 so i have to take the frame as is .

Thanks for looking and commenting toy previous image

Cheers Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
12-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Hi Andreas, a very nice image with the Jackal walking by after grabbing a quick bite. sharp with nice colours. TFS.

haseeb badar
12-05-2015, 07:53 AM
Hi Andreas -- Nice sharpness and colours ! It is a beautiful subject to work upon and you have got a lovely image here .

I would have preferred a bit more space on the LHS but as you said it wasn't there and so will have to live with it .

TFS !

keith mitchell
12-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Dread to think where that head as been, like the natural look of the animal and it's setting, would be thrilled to bits if it was mine.

Keith.

Andre Pretorius
12-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Hi Andreas

Agree with your self-critique re space, but rather a tight image than none at all..LOL
Sharp with good mid-tone contrast (MT3 & curve?)
Blood dried on back and fresh on face adds to narrative.
If only there was light on the face....

Buthi down South..

Andreas Liedmann
12-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Thanks Andre , Keith , Haseeb & Sanjeev for your comments .... as always much appreciated :S3: .

Andre - yes light on the face would have been way better but i was stuck to that location , no way to avoid the backlighting . mid-tones ........ USM 15/215/2 on whole image .... 80 % opacity .... reduced to 40 % to FG and BG ... on tif before downsize :wave:

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
12-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Hi Andreas - Nice to see a jackal and I think you are correct that it has been a long time since one was posted. Agree with your self-critique about the tightness of the frame. Pleasing overall tones and colors.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
12-06-2015, 07:17 AM
Hi Andreas, well the image is a 'winner' even with the drawbacks you mention, as you learnt from it and so shooting next time, these little issues won't happen???

Light looks a bit harsh creating IMHO some stronger contrasts I feel coming through, albeit viewing on the laptop.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
12-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Thanks Rachel & Steve for sharing your thoughts and having a look at my posting :wave: much appreciated .

As mostly you are absolutely right regarding light /contrast ...... the contrast was created with intention , had a slighty flatter version in first place and did not like it .

Cheers Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
12-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Yo! Boetie, this is a mean looking fella!

2011 versus 2015...techs are great IMO, although I agree light wasn't on your side. Never mind, since you are a Photoshop Guru:w3

Well processed and sharp as it gets, colours are great. If you really want to, you could add some space on the LHS...I would:)

Love the caked blood - it tells the story, together with that intense look on its face. "Jackal on a mission"... I really like the way you saw and presented this animal: he is cunning, always takes advantage of an opportunity, and so deserves its reputation:)

Well done Boetie, I enjoyed this, a lot! Makes me think of our Kalahari trip too...

Hope you have a great evening, warmest regards,