PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owlet Balance Beam Act - Part Deux

Marina Scarr
12-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Here's another burrowing owlet image from the only time I picked up my camera during my Spring Florida workshop. As explained in my earlier thread, this nest had 4 owlets. I set up the perch several feet from the burrow and waited for the owlets to become comfortable with it. It didn't take long before they were climbing all over it, losing their balance but they soon figured it all out and became quite playful with one another.

PS: I lightened this one up a bit based upon your suggestions. These images were taken on an overcast day, but I do think it looks a bit better slightly lighter.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L
F8, 1/1250sec, ISO 800, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful comments and critiques.

Randy Stout
12-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Marina:

The variety of poses, curved perch, soft colors, all work together very well. It really tells a fun story of the young birds learning about their environment and each other!

The balance and framing of the image works great.

Makes me smile.

Cheers

Randy

keith mitchell
12-03-2015, 04:52 AM
Like out Little Owls they look full of mischief, Marina it's great how you have captured all the different poses and you picked yourself a nice perch, smashing piece of work ,love it.

Keith.

Karl Egressy
12-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Wow, amazing shot, Marina. It is funny and beautiful at the same time.

John Hackney
12-03-2015, 09:26 AM
What a cute and gorgeous image.

John Robinson
12-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Certainly some action in that shot Marina. Well
done.
John

Gabriela Plesea
12-03-2015, 02:42 PM
This is awesome, Marina!!!

Well captured, love the pose from the characters and their mischievousness!

I just know Steve K. is going to love this just as much as I do:)

Perfect framing, so much to look at, delightful in every way... well processed, this ticks all the boxes for me - congratulations!

Warmest regards,

William Dickson
12-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Great capture. Every owl has its own character. They are all communicating. Love it. :S3:

Well done Marina

Will

Bill Dix
12-03-2015, 04:27 PM
What a great perch you gave them! And they're making good use of it. Love the different poses, and the comp. In a perfect world the RH bird's head would be clear, but that's a very minor nit in a terrific capture. Well conceived and executed.

gail bisson
12-03-2015, 05:05 PM
This is excellent Marina!Love all the poses and shows such fun! Made me smile.
Gail

arash_hazeghi
12-03-2015, 10:08 PM
love the interaction between the playful owlets Marina, it reminds me of Walt Disney animated characters. very cute. the two right owls just have the perfect pose, the left one could have a better HA but in a shot like this the odds of every head angle being perfect is slim to none. I find the colors a touch muted though, having seen the westerns and mid-western burrowing owls, I am not sure if this is a local variation in plumage or a matter of RAW processing software not being able to encode the WB property. If it's the latter I'd add more warmth to the image so the eye look a bit more yellow

TFS

Satish Ranadive
12-04-2015, 01:06 AM
Fully action packed excellent image.

Regards,
Satish.

Glenn Conlan
12-08-2015, 09:00 PM
So rare to get multiple birds in great focus, makes this special and the action is great.

David Salem
12-08-2015, 11:38 PM
I like this one too. Nice to get three in focus like the others mentioned and the individual poses are to cute. Nice details and I like the lightened version better. Well done Marina.