PDA

View Full Version : Wild Turkey Looking Wild.

Daniel Cadieux
12-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Upon closer inspection check out the amazing iridescence and colours on a Wild Turkey's plumage. Sure they may not have the immediate cuddle-appeal of, say, a baby bear - but man it is cool to really study this species up close. This individual is part of a flock of about 30 birds that is fully wild and free but acclimated to the presence of people. So much fun to be smack-dab in the middle of that grouping!!

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/160s., f/4, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, just about FF, warmed up the overall WB, lightened the iris, 4-5 white specks in the plumage eliminated via the spot removal tool.

Marina Scarr
12-02-2015, 07:47 PM
This could be the most unique turkey portrait I have ever seen. I simply love those ruffled up feathers, the textures the design. Very pleasing comp and BG. You surely nailed this one.

Randy Stout
12-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Daniel:
The head sure is ugly, but the cedar shake look to the feathers is great, the colors are rich, background complimentary.

Reminds me of a wood stork in a way, some beautiful parts, other areas, not so much!

Cheers

Randy

keith mitchell
12-03-2015, 04:27 AM
Dan they may not be the prettiest bird but lots of interest in the face with it's wattles and all, those stacked up neck feathers look smashing, all the colours fit very well on that nice bg,excellent.

Keith.

Karl Egressy
12-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Very unique portrait, looks very good, Daniel.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-03-2015, 09:14 AM
An outstanding portrait, Daniel. Almost looks as if it was photographed in a studio. Remarkably beautiful natural soft light. Great raised feathers, and iridescence display.

Geoffrey

Gabriela Plesea
12-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Love the image design here Daniel, well seen and captured!

Very original and arty too - I am delighted with this, lovely BG, beautiful colours and the pose is so attractive:)

I do wish for a tad more DOF and I feel SS is too low - given another chance, would you do this differently?

Warmest regards, thank you so much for sharing,

Daniel Cadieux
12-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Hi Gabriela, thank you!! I am glad you like the image.

I suppose slow shutter speed is relative and about what you want to achieve. Yes, for action I was dead in the water but for static portraits I was fine with the lens' incredible IS (plus I am also normally very steady with good technique - here I was sitting on the ground with the lens braced on a raised knee). Although I will push the 7D to ISO 1600 if needed, here I did not feel that going there for 1/320s. (or to stop down to f/5.6) was worth it:S3:

Satish Ranadive
12-04-2015, 01:04 AM
What a lovely feather design he has !!
Marvellous portrait, Daniel sir. Love the colour pallet, wonderful details, beautiful BG and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

shane shacaluga
12-04-2015, 06:54 AM
I like this image a lot. nice sharp details, beautiful colour and perfect BG

Such an odd looking creature

TFS

Gabriela Plesea
12-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Thank you so much for your reply Daniel,

You achieved an interesting effect here and the image resembles a painting - this is very pleasing to the eye:)

I asked whether you would do this differently because I wondered how you coped with the movement (at low SS) as the subject ruffled its feathers. Obviously you had a plan, as well as a steady hand:)

To me the end result is very interesting: however I look at this, my eyes settle on the subject's face (focal point). Which is pin sharp and has brighter, more vivid colours. What the neck feathers do, is "lead" me to this focal point, which occupies a tiny part really but it's what makes the image IMO. Something to learn from this, since I also wished for more DOF at first - but the more I look, the more I understand your "plan" and why you thought it was not necessary. I really appreciate your answer as it made me go back to your image and figure out why I liked it:cheers:

Warmest regards,