PDA

View Full Version : Hippo Display

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
12-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Am not sure of this months theme, "key Lighting" and not sure this can be included as the side light was nicely hitting the eye and lower jaw with full extension of neck. Had posted a similar shot earlier with partial extension.
1/400
f/6.3
ISO 800
7D II
500 II

Rachel Hollander
12-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Hi Sanjeev - Personally, when I think of key lighting in respect to wildlife images I think of images that have a direct light source on the face or part of the animal but are against a darker or black bg. Others may have other thoughts and I am happy to have them chime in. The effect can either be created in the field or in post.

As to your image, I like the light and the low pov but the low pov has caused there to be some oof grass at the bottom which I find distracting particularly in the lrc. I also think you needed a bit more ss to really freeze the action. Both lips seems a bit a soft probably due to the movement. I also wish the hippo was slightly more side on to see more of the large teeth but recognize that was not within your control.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
12-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Hi Sanjeev - to me it was also not clear what means " key lightning " for this month theme ... maybe as i am a dumb german , LOL . :w3
So thanks Rachel for your quick view what key lightning means , at least from your POV , and i do agree with your view :5.

Having this in mind Sanjeev .... you might have failed this month theme , but does not matter plenty more chances as the dec is long :wave:. Please do not take my comment as to be serious, just joking .

Regarding the image ... the hippo gave you a nice yawn and you have a chosen a wider crop and it does work ok , but i would have liked the head to be more parallel to the focal plane .
You have nice tone , detail and overall colors do work well .

I just think the SS was simply too slow for this "action " as you have some parts of the hippo slightly blurred , but no deal breaker .

Nice one Sanjeev

TFS Andreas

Andre Pretorius
12-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Hi Sanjeev

I would have called this image "The Rise of the Sea Cow" :bg3:
He really appears to rise from the water..
Agree with soft lips:w3, would like to see a bit more tonal contrast on palate and chin.
Agree with Andreas with angle, but it is as is..
Still maintain to rather deal with noise than soft focus-- push,push that ISO..only a statue qualifies in my books for a SS of 1/800.
Like the image and your low POV- what shooting platform was used?

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
12-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Thanks Rachel, Andreas and Andre. Andre, we had just parked at the edge of a pond for some sundowners, and we got out to stretch when we saw this not-so-happy Hippo surge out. Had my gear in my hand so lowered myself on my knees & took a few quick shots hand held. Agree I should have upped the ISO and more SS would have avoided that softness of lips.

Andreas Liedmann
12-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Hey Sanjeev one of the reasons i go on my own ....... when the sun goes down i am shooting , fully concentrated on the available subjects ..... not on the downer , LOL

Cheers mate

haseeb badar
12-05-2015, 07:36 AM
Hi Sanjeev -- Nicely done considering these hippos can yawn any moment but certainly a high SS would have been good for this image . Also i too would prefer a more parallel look of the hippo but this also works for me.
TFS !

Steve Kaluski
12-06-2015, 07:03 AM
Hi Sanjeev, was this at Selinda?

Interesting to read the thoughts, agree the SS is too slow, but I wonder how many would have increased the DoF and so I pose the question, why would you get caught out here in the DoF?

If you went hard on you would loose a lot of the open jaw, I quite like the angle as it gives more to see, be interesting to see how it would have looked, shot vertical? I like the trailing water and nice to have the eye open, as like us, animals can close them during behavioural moments.

TFS
Steve