PDA

View Full Version : Just try THAT again!

John Hackney
12-01-2015, 08:57 PM
7D Mk II, 100-400 Mk II, 1.4TC Mk III, 1/2500, f/8, ISO 1250 crop, basic PP and convert in LR, NR and sharpening in PS. Repost post #5.

arash_hazeghi
12-01-2015, 09:10 PM
looks like the eagle was going after the crow, pretty cool! I am always tempted to press the shutter button when I see a scene like this!

I think this image would have been stronger if the crow and eagle were facing each other or at least separated from one another and we could see the crow's heads a bit better. The steep angle wasn't in your favor and the image is underexposed with blacks blocked. Both are a bit too big in the frame but with the roof top as a perch I am not sure what kind of crop is best.

TFS

John Hackney
12-01-2015, 09:17 PM
I agree on the positioning of the birds. Since the crow had just tweaked a tail feather...

I see the crop issue. I will need to add canvas to the top and right side to relieve the cramped look. I brought the exposure down as the whites were about blown out. Very difficult balancing act with blacks and whites in the shot. I will give it a shot to see if I can get a better balance.

Thanks for the thoughts.

arash_hazeghi
12-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Hi John,

the tough balance between whites and blacks comes from the harsh light. with the sun above you, it will be tough to get details in both blacks and whites, had the sun been lower in the sky and behind you, you would have gotten excellent iridescent blacks and creamy whites at the same time. having said that, you could have pushed the exposure here by at least a stop and recovered most whites in RAW conversion.

best

John Hackney
12-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Here is a redo.

keith mitchell
12-02-2015, 04:03 AM
A difficult one for you John, think you did very well getting the action you got.

Keith.

Ross Taylor
12-02-2015, 06:19 AM
Hi John,

Crows and rapters! Great to catch some of that action :)

I am not so sure with the main subject being the eagle, if the OOF crow's head in the foreground is optimal.

The extended wings of both birds seem to distract me, perhaps because the dark shadows make me wonder whose wing is whose?

I would consider to bring down the saturation of the sky a tad.

All those minor nits said, I wish I took that photo :)

TFS
Ross

John Hackney
12-02-2015, 09:11 AM
A difficult one for you John, think you did very well getting the action you got.

Keith.

Thank you Keith. I was very pleased that I recognized there could be action and got prepared for it. I usually miss out.

John Hackney
12-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Hi John,

Crows and rapters! Great to catch some of that action :)

I am not so sure with the main subject being the eagle, if the OOF crow's head in the foreground is optimal.

The extended wings of both birds seem to distract me, perhaps because the dark shadows make me wonder whose wing is whose?

I would consider to bring down the saturation of the sky a tad.

All those minor nits said, I wish I took that photo :)

TFS
Ross

Thank you Ross. I wish I had the forethought to increase the DOF to sharpen the crow.

Andre Pretorius
12-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Hi John

An interesting capture! Captured something similar in the Kalahari once- a Black crow was pestering a Yellow Billed Kite in a dead tree for minutes on end- no food involved, just character..( too far to get any postable images..)

The comp is better in RP and so is the detail in blacks, but the whites are a bit cooked- always a problem with both lights and darks in an image. Did you consider double processing?
Yes, f10 might have worked better for the crow, but hind-sight is best sight- or slower SS/ higher ISO depending on shooting mode..

Agree to bring sat down in sky.

It looks like the image was captured on a roof top- if so- where were you to get that interesting POV?:S3:

Gabriela Plesea
12-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Hello John,

An interesting action shot and I bet you have a few more from this sequence!

Nice SS and you were quick to capture this interaction between species, it must have only lasted a few seconds...

If this was mine I would tame some of the HL. In terms of crop, another option - often undesirable but maybe worth a try - go square and see what happens:)

I enjoyed viewing this image very much, thank you so much for sharing:w3

Kind regards,

arash_hazeghi
12-02-2015, 01:18 PM
If you have more frames from the same sequence maybe we can move it to the sequence forum and you can write up the story behind the image...I think it works better that way

Gabriela Plesea
12-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Thank you Arash for your suggestion, I personally would love to see more from this interaction but did not dare ask:tinysmile_shy_t: I constantly seek support for Story Sequences Forum but it seems the members find it difficult to process three or more images at a time.

A sequence from you John would be very welcome, if you have it:bg3:

Kind regards,

John Hackney
12-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Hi John

An interesting capture! Captured something similar in the Kalahari once- a Black crow was pestering a Yellow Billed Kite in a dead tree for minutes on end- no food involved, just character..( too far to get any postable images..)

The comp is better in RP and so is the detail in blacks, but the whites are a bit cooked- always a problem with both lights and darks in an image. Did you consider double processing?
Yes, f10 might have worked better for the crow, but hind-sight is best sight- or slower SS/ higher ISO depending on shooting mode..

Agree to bring sat down in sky.

It looks like the image was captured on a roof top- if so- where were you to get that interesting POV?:S3:

Thank you. The birds were about 45 feet up and I was about 70 feet from there. Double processing? Whites have been brought well down as well as highlights.

John Hackney
12-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Hello John,

An interesting action shot and I bet you have a few more from this sequence!

Nice SS and you were quick to capture this interaction between species, it must have only lasted a few seconds...

If this was mine I would tame some of the HL. In terms of crop, another option - often undesirable but maybe worth a try - go square and see what happens:)

I enjoyed viewing this image very much, thank you so much for sharing:w3

Kind regards,

Thank you. I had considered a square crop but did not even look at it. HL have been brought well down as well as white level. I even added a little burn to the brightest spots. I see I have more ideas to examine.

I had a feeling about the action coming as I was able to observe the crows trying to work their way behind the eagle.

John Hackney
12-02-2015, 06:17 PM
If you have more frames from the same sequence maybe we can move it to the sequence forum and you can write up the story behind the image...I think it works better that way

UGH, I have deleted most of the sequence as some were out of focus from the quick action. I will keep this in mind since I like trying to capture sequences when possible.

John Hackney
12-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Thank you Arash for your suggestion, I personally would love to see more from this interaction but did not dare ask:tinysmile_shy_t: I constantly seek support for Story Sequences Forum but it seems the members find it difficult to process three or more images at a time.

A sequence from you John would be very welcome, if you have it:bg3:

Kind regards,

I will see what I left from the sequence but I am afraid I have deleted most of it. I will keep in mind the sequence forum. I do have another in mind if I have not decimated the sequence. I tend to thin out my photos taken at the end of the year to the ones I feel are best along with ones that just capture my imagination.

Karl Egressy
12-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Interesting and unique interaction image.
The repost is a definite improvement. I would still try to sharpen it a little more.

John Hackney
12-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Thank you Karl.

Gabriela Plesea
12-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Thank you John for posting a sequence of images from this instance in the Story Sequences Forum, really appreciate it:cheers:

John Hackney
12-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Thank you John for posting a sequence of images from this instance in the Story Sequences Forum, really appreciate it:cheers:

My pleasure.