PDA

View Full Version : Theme Greylag

Steve Kaluski
12-01-2015, 04:58 PM
A Greylag Goose, nothing too taxing, but would have liked Dans backdrop:bg3:.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve
Subject: Greylag Goose (Anser anser) taking time out...
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO800 (Default ISO)
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop from the top & sides
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

Richard Gollar
12-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Very nice

Jim Crosswell
12-01-2015, 06:30 PM
I like the resting pose, composition and effective use of DOF. The tip of the bill looks like a persons fingernail. Very well done Steve!

Randy Stout
12-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Steve:

Very peaceful feeling, makes me want to take a nap. Very well exposed, sharp.

A bit more dof would have been an interesting option as a variation on the theme.

I like how the head/bill works the diagonal axis of the frame.

Cheers

Randy

John Hackney
12-01-2015, 09:10 PM
Beautiful, serene shot.

keith mitchell
12-02-2015, 03:52 AM
Steve it just shows what you can do with a so called common bird, beautiful feather detail.

Keith.

Ross Taylor
12-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Hi Steve,

Love it! Detail on the bill is incredible. What I love most is the limited depth of field. I feel it complements the theme of the photo very well.

Very creative. Well done Steve!

Ross

Steve Kaluski
12-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Thanks guys, just crossing a little water at present so will reply more on my return.

Randy, plenty of ISO & SS could have been possible say f/11 but not sure how much I might have gained?

Cheers
Steve

Randy Stout
12-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Steve:

My first impression when I looked at the image was that I wished the feathers behind the bill were a bit sharper. Ultimately, you were so close that that might not have been possible to achieve. AS posted, the head is nicely isolated from the area behind it. It does work very well, but I am always looking for variations. For example, would more DOF effect how the eyes moved through the image?

Sounds too artsy,I know. :t3

Cheers

Randy

Gabriela Plesea
12-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Fantastic detail here Steve and I love the image design as well as tranquility perceived.

I agree with Ross on DOF, works well for me too and places emphasis on that lovely colourful bill.

Always something different from you and I love it Steve. I think I am going to take another look here a little later, so peaceful and so gentle it will help me relax before I decide to take some "time out" myself, LOL.

Hope you have a wonderful evening,

Andre Pretorius
12-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Hi Steve

Colors and detail amazing, Sir!

Love the depth, there is a "V" from wings to chest, accentuated by feather lines; drawing the eye to the bill area.

Love the image, a sharp eye would make this perfect!

Daniel Cadieux
12-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Really interesting. I like the details on the head and face. The bill looks great too, but I must admit that Jim's comment on the human fingernail gives me the creeps looking at it!!:t3 The BG may not be as vibrant as the one I had for the heron, but it works well to put the spotlight on the goose. I would, however, blend a way the two outer edges of the large faint oof element touching the head. The closed eye works remarkably well in this case IMO.

Jim Crosswell
12-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Really interesting. I like the details on the head and face. The bill looks great too, but I must admit that Jim's comment on the human fingernail gives me the creeps looking at it!!:t3 The BG may not be as vibrant as the one I had for the heron, but it works well to put the spotlight on the goose. I would, however, blend a way the two outer edges of the large faint oof element touching the head. The closed eye works remarkably well in this case IMO.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees it. I was about to call the pizza place and ask them what kind of mushrooms they put on my pizza!

David Salem
12-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Very nice peaceful scene Steve. Nice colors and details. Now that the guys mentioned the fingernail, I see it real well. Pretty wild. Nice frame

keith mitchell
12-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Try painting that nail Steve.

Keith .

Stu Bowie
12-03-2015, 01:20 PM
Hi Steve, excellent feather detail, and the beak is perfectly aligned with the lines of the feathers. The colours of the beak really stand out, and overall well exposed.

Steve Kaluski
12-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys, apologies for the delay, just been rather hectic since posting the image as I was in Paris for a couple of days and now have headed back to the other house where, (although not add bad as other parts of the country), we had 41mph+ winds, certainly gusty, but the South & West escaped things.

Love the 'finger' comment Jim, never saw it in that light, likewise taken on board the BKG Dan. Randy, will take a trawl through the RAW's, I may have some with more DoF, as I quite often toggle between settings if time/subject allows.

Cheers for now.

Steve :wave: