Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/200
Av(Aperture Value) 5.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 800
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM

I have done a some tidying up and removed specular reflections, I didn't want to tidy up too much because I wanted to retain a natural look.
There was a lot of contrast in the image the bird being particularly bright and the water dark so I did quite a bit of adjustment to the lighting.

Stu Bowie
11-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Hi Jon, tack sharp, and you achieved good DOF too. I like the inquisitive pose, wondering where he's going off to next. The BG isnt too busy, and I could see this as a vertical too. :w3

Does the ring have any significance?

John Robinson
11-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Nice one Jon . Love the reeds and the sense of habitat.
Nice comp.Was this a youngster/ or moult ? Not much brown in the bird and the eyestripe not very visible.
Like it
JohnR

Steve Kaluski
11-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Hi Jon, I think bolting on the 1.4 would have helped and 1/200 IMHO is a bit slow to say the least, as you know you can push the 1DX very easily, don't let SS hold you back. If you got this in the bag and time allowed, going vertical I think would have offered another option. Contrast is the biggest fly in the ointment and hard to get rid of compared to say the Nikon equivalent like the D4.

I have done a some tidying up and removed specular reflections

Is it to the right of the subject? I might suggest 'double processing' the image, you then have more control, not sure how you do that though with DPP.

TFS
Steve

William Dickson
11-30-2015, 04:07 PM
Nice 'natural' looking image Jon. I would have liked to see the head a wee bit more looking towards us. I would also go vertical.

Will

David Cowling
11-30-2015, 04:33 PM
Hi Jonathan. Like the natural habitat and the bird looking up, as already mentioned a bit more head turn would be good. Surprised to see a ring on that particular species of bird. You did a good job of isolating the bird in the reeds.

keith mitchell
12-01-2015, 04:04 AM
Nice shot of this Warbler in a typical pose, agree with Will on the vertical but it's a very good shot the way it is, personal thing I hate those rings even though I know they have there uses .

Keith.

nick clayton
12-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Super pose and nice feather detail Jonathan, shame about the ring.