PDA

View Full Version : Red-billed Oxpecker

Steve Kaluski
11-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Generally feeding off flies and other insects on or around the Buffalos, these birds can be quite flighty, so it was nice to have a couple that were a bit more cooperative, however being in a herd of 200+ (if memory serves mer correctly) is not ideal. These Buffalo can be grumpy buggers at the best of times, but the plagues of flies that live with them are something else, although not quite in 'Biblical' proportion as in Alaska!! Love the natural perch of the Buffs hide and that almost wiry, coarse hair.

The HA might not be perfect, but I think at this angle it emphasises the area around the eye and highlights the 3D element.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve
Subject: Red-Billed Oxpeckers (Buphagus erythrorhynchus) feeding on the back of Buffalo
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4 with 1x4HH
Exposure: 1/640s at f/5.6 ISO400 (If I shot it now I certainly would have had the SS around 1600-2000)
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from the top
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

Karl Egressy
11-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Nice image, looks interesting and an informative story, Steve. My only concern is the head turn. Having the other bird in the background is a good idea.

Stu Bowie
11-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Hi Steve, love the light in this, as the nearer Oxpecker's plumage really shows up the detail - nice and sharp too. I like how both Oxpeckers are looking in opposite directions, and well exposed on the big fellow.

Jonathan Ashton
11-30-2015, 12:02 PM
I like the composition and the juxtaposition of the birds, I do wish there was a little bit of a head turn, otherwise top notch.

Steve Kaluski
11-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Hi guys,

My only concern is the head turn

Indeed Karl, but as I said I doubt if you would see the protruding area around the eye, no idea what it's called, the yellow area, Stu any ideas???

Stu, yes I too liked the criss-cross but personal tastes i guess???

Cheers Jon. :wave:

Gabriela Plesea
11-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Hello Steve,

Finding this image in this Forum was a lovely surprise for me and I really liked the juxtaposition of the two oxpeckers... the yellow thingie is called an eye-ring?

Perfect colours, great detail as always, lovely BG, a very well presented image, as expected from you.

Love the "hairy perch":)

I guarantee you loads of oxpecker images if you come visit, all in great light! I know just where to find them and time of the day is critical...BTW, friends of ours discovered oxpecker eggs in a hollow of a log near their farm house - waiting for news and hoping for a visit when the babies arrive!

Thank you Steve, enjoyed this, very much!

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
11-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Thank you Gabriela, that is very sweet of you.

If, and it's a BIG if, I'm not sure our plans would dovetail, as it would be in September based on Peter who you know indirectly & Charl. All Air mile tickets have gone so I just need to see what's what, as I already have tickets for earlier in the year, as it's availability, as I have millions of miles to use up.

'Eye ring' - great, knew it was a technical phrase :S3:.

Have a great evening and I think you are allowed a little glass of red, but don't tell Stu, LOL. :bg3:

Steve

keith mitchell
11-30-2015, 02:55 PM
That's some different perch Steve, two birds together even the oof one works for me ,head turn bit already mentioned, different and all the better for it.

Keith.

Gabriela Plesea
11-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Steve, will send you an email regarding "dovetailing" LOL (very appropriate expression for the Avian forum, BTW)

We do have some nice red on the side, in case Stu pitches up, ha ha!

Now seriously, we have so many oxpeckers "available" around here, the other day they were flying around the house:bg3: Kingfishers too...And a pair of Paradise Flycatchers taking a dip in the pond every afternoon...And Crested Barbets...Black collared Barbets...and a few Hoepoes:)

Have a lovely evening,

Steve Kaluski
11-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Now you are raising the bar Gabriela, however I doubt we would pass the driveway if Stu pitches up too, LOL.

Cheers Keith and agree with your previous comment - Gabriela is inspiring, listen to her :w3.

Gabriela Plesea
11-30-2015, 04:05 PM
I'll make sure you do, Steve:bg3::cheers:

Keith? I want some more mice, please:tinysmile_shy_t:

William Dickson
11-30-2015, 04:15 PM
Nice looking frame Steve. I see where you are coming from with the HA, personally I would like the bird looking in our direction. Lovely light and detail on the bird and perch.

Will