View Full Version : Widgeon

William Dickson
11-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Canon 5D Mk3
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/2500
ISO 800

Cold morning at the loch, but I liked how the rising sun gave great Autumn reflections from the trees on the loch side.

Thanks for looking

Will

Randy Stout
11-29-2015, 04:49 PM
Will:

Handsome bird, nice water color, well exposed.

Looks like he might be swimming uphill a degree or two.

How cold was it? I was in London in late November once, and although the temp was in the 30s, it felt a lot colder because of the humidity.

Cheers

Randy

William Dickson
11-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Hi Randy Thanks for that. I reckon it would be about 4 degrees. I arrived when it was still dark and it seemed to get colder when the sun showed. We are always a lot colder than London. We got heavy snow for the first time today, but it didn't last

Will

Bill Dix
11-29-2015, 05:10 PM
Handsome bird, nicely captured. I like where you placed him in the frame, and the fact that you left him relatively small to show more of the lovely loch color. I guess this must be a Eurasian Wigeon, which causes a stir among birders when one shows up over here. Different from our American Wigeon, and looks different from the Eurasian Wigeon shown in my book, but perhaps he's midway between breeding and non-breeding plumage. Or maybe a different Wigeon altogether. In any case, nice shot.

William Dickson
11-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Thanks for that Bill. The American Wigeon causes a bit of a stir when one turns up here But, few and far between.

Will

keith mitchell
11-30-2015, 03:52 AM
What I like most is the way the bird blends with the water colour and what looks like nice shafts of light, very nice work Will.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
11-30-2015, 05:44 AM
Hi Will, is this a largish crop, looks a bit soft to me?

Steve

Stu Bowie
11-30-2015, 06:50 AM
Hi Will, I do like the swimming pose of the Widgeon, together with the varied colours on him. Lovely calm water, and the blues of the wake really pop nicely from the yellow colours of the surrounding waters. Unless you may have already adjusted the rotation, as posted now, it looks fine to me. If you changed the rotation, we ask that you leave the OP, and post a RP with the adjustments, so we can the differences and changes. :w3

Karl Egressy
11-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Nice looking bird, well captured, Will. It would be a great bird here as we get maybe one or two every year as vagrants.

Jonathan Ashton
11-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Very attractive shot I like the colours very much. I may lift the darker areas of the head and neck a little just to see if there is a little more detail forthcoming. If the crop isn't big I would crop a little more, I appreciate the ambience you wanted to capture but I think the duck is just a little small in the frame.

John Robinson
11-30-2015, 03:20 PM
All been said Will.
Great colours I agree.
John

William Dickson
11-30-2015, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the comments, appreciated as always. Steve, Jon, the crop was a fair size, although not too big. Stu, I never touched the OP, although I can see where Randy is coming from. The trail of water behind the duck does go uphill a degree or 2 at the most. Randy's eyes must be better than ours Stu :eek3:

Cheers

Will