PDA

View Full Version : The 'Loch Ness Monster' ;)

William Dickson
11-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Canon 5D Mk3
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/2500
ISO 1250

Another from the lochside, I thought this cygnet gave me the iconic Loch Ness Monster pose :w3

Thanks for looking

Will

Ross Taylor
11-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Too funny Will! Loch Ness Monster pose :) Well this bird had to learn it somewhere ?

I really like the crop emphasizing the neck, and the water under the bill. That "loch" water looks really nice also! Lots of creativity to enjoy here :)

I would be tempted to see what it looks like by cropping a bit off the bottom or moving the bird down a tad.

TFS
Ross

Randy Stout
11-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Will:

Perhaps the Loch Nest monster stories came from this very situation! A fellow, having spent too much time in the pub, misjudged the size and distance, and mistook a swan for the monster!

As Ross mentioned, a bit off the bottom would work, because of the very pano pose of the bird.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
11-29-2015, 07:47 AM
Killer action/behavior you captured in such stunning light and with such a low angle. I would go more pano too with some off of the bottom.

Jonathan Ashton
11-29-2015, 11:08 AM
Very nice indeed Will, good timing and exposure, I too would suggest a slice off the base.

William Dickson
11-29-2015, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I think it was 'where to cut the reflection' was putting me off less on bottom.

Will

John Robinson
11-29-2015, 12:10 PM
Another good Swan job Will. I would even try a tighter crop - cutting off some of the body.
Good as is though.
John

keith mitchell
11-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Like I have said before Will not the most beautiful specimen for you to work with but you are getting some very lovely results, like the blue water dripping from the bill and also it's reflection onto the birds feathers.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
11-30-2015, 05:39 AM
Well Will, if this really is Nessy then I guess you can hang up your coat for the second time and enjoy the fruits of your labour! :S3:

I like the framing and the way the signet enters the frame, personally I might have moved the crop up a wee bit, having a fraction less below and slightly more above. The trailing water off the beak is also a nice touch and the warm, golden light on the water adds to the scene. Again, another nice POV. Techs look good, but I just wonder if it needs a wee bit more selective sharpening on the head or is there slight movement???? If you are tracking it on a tripod then I would look at the Unique ball head, if you need more info drop me a line, but it really works.

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
11-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Cool pose from this swan, great POV William! Lovely FG and BG:)

Nice techs and I like your subtle PP work, agree with Steve above re. sharpening and taking a bit off the bottom.

You have shared some stunning images lately - please forgive me for being so scarce with comments, lately I do pop in here but often do not have enough time to put my thoughts into words, year end and kind of crazy at work as well as home, I do derive great pleasure in viewing though. I will be back in January, I promise!

Kind regards,