PDA

View Full Version : Needles TwiNight

dankearl
11-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Very rare clear cold Thanksgiving on the Oregon Coast.
A Full Moon was to rise shortly, cutting off the night photography but I like the Blue Hour anyway.

15 sec., iso2000, f1.8 (nikon 20mm f1.8), 20mm, D800

No Noise Reduction used.
PP in ACR, PS6, NX2
Single Raw File, the FG rocks were about 25 feet away, as you can see I was
able to get all in focus including stars with a f1.8 aperture.

800_8030bpn.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=157260&stc=1&d=1448731477)

David Cowling
11-28-2015, 02:14 PM
Nice clear image Dan, Like the afterglow. Good exposure on the rocks. Only nit I have is that I would like to see the whole of the rock reflection in the pool but that would have probably meant moving closer than you wanted to retain the DOF.
Did you focus on infinity or use the hyperfocal distance?

Rachel Hollander
11-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Hi Dan - Nice scene. I also want to see the whole pool but don't know if it was possible to swing the camera to the left a bit. It would have also moved the center rock a bit off-center which I would prefer.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
11-29-2015, 11:18 PM
Hi Dan,

Impressive for a single shot, and you have captured a lot of detail. Was this one of those you shoot first and then compose, or could you compose it first?? I ask because I too would have prefered a pool complete, especially as it seems close to being complete. I also see faint layers of green & Magenta just above the rocks LHS..

DON

Don Lacy
12-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Dan, I like this a lot nice placement of the rocks in the frame with good color in the sky.

Morkel Erasmus
12-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Hi Dan - overall the look&feel of this is very nice, one of the best for your nightscapes for me (a tad darker than usual, after our previous discussion?)
Tonality, contrast, exposure feels just right here.

I do see a distinct halo around the spires/needles/buttes - easy to avoid if you choose to reprocess?

Andrew McLachlan
12-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Hi Dan, very nice work and good suggestions by he others...my preference for comp would have been to try to get some separation between the middle spire and the rock in the pool...if it was at all possible.