PDA

View Full Version : Well armored Warrior

Andreas Liedmann
11-27-2015, 04:57 AM
Hi folks iam in the oldish mood , so i dig through my folders .
Image of this Indian Tank taken in 2007 in a secret place , well who knows a bit about those fantastic Rhinos will know where to see and find them , not that many of them left an the places are not really secret :w3.

I saw quite a lot of them during my time and what i have heard the population is quite stable there, will go if nothing goes wrong in feb/ mar back to that place .

Canon EOS 1D MK II n
EF 500 IS L
beanbag support from open Gypsy

F 8 ; Iso 200 ; 1/180 sec , Steve i know this is not ideal :bg3: but ....... 2016 i will have different kit and knowledge so i hope for the better , but no guarantee.

Processed with DPP and PS CC , cropped for comp

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

keith mitchell
11-27-2015, 08:37 AM
Andreas these magnificent animals make my efforts with Mice/Squirrels look a bit tame even though they might be a bit quicker, great armoured beast with the red ear tufts that I have never seen before, all looks very good ,bet it's a thrill to get near these.

Keith.

Neil Williams
11-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Fantastic Andreas.............

Rachel Hollander
11-27-2015, 08:51 PM
Hi Andreas - It looks like he is smiling at you. I like the walking pose with the head up and he is set off nicely against the grass and bg. It works for me. Hopefully, you'll see many more in 2016.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-28-2015, 02:40 AM
Fantastic image Andreas, I have been there. Amazing place and amazing creatures. Love the tufted ears and the HA and walking pose. This year nearly 16 of them were lost to poachers, sadly despite active patrolling! The tall elephant grass is unique to this place.

Steve Kaluski
11-28-2015, 05:09 AM
F 8 ; Iso 200 ; 1/180 sec , Steve i know this is not ideal but ....... 2016 i will have different kit and knowledge so i hope for the better , but no guarantee.

Andreas, as I have said many times, this 'medium' is like a well known Brand, it just keeps on evolving (not radically changing), you know the shape and what it does, it's does a few more things to aid the capture just that better. I bet if I said you can shoot at ISO25,600 with fantastic IQ, in 2007 you would just have laughed.

Personally I like these Rhino as the appear to me like some Japanese warrior clad in armour plating which gives them 'character'. 2015 PP I think has brought out more from the original capture and I like the overall comp, personally as everything is sharp, having the slight movement in the rear leg, for me, it a tad distracting, however... Taken then and with the techs, this is a pretty cool image. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
11-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Hello folks thanks a lot for your comments and views , much appreciated :wave:

Keith - for sure a thrill to get close to these special rhinos , i do find them a bit more special than their african relatives .What do you think how thrilling they are when they charge you .....:bg3: ...... happened once to me . But was more a mock charge .

Steve - agree with thoughts regarding kit .. and yes would have laughed about the High Iso values that can be used today . And it will become better in the future i guess . I wait for the next update of the 1Dx , what i have heard so far does not sound spectacular but a greater dynamic range would be very very nice .

2015 PP is for sure way better than only a year ago , but the reason is basically i see things like detail / contrast / local contrast and sharpness very different to the time i started here in BPN and i constantly try to learn and learn . The biggest change for me of all time was the consequent use of luminosity masks as the most important part in my WF , only they make it possible for me to produce what i produce today . Whether i let Mr Kuyper create them for me or i create them totally manually with " calculations / blending modes / curves " .
I think i have done a relative good job with this one , even more after i looked at it again today , and this was processed with the " really crappy " DPP 3" and not the way better "DPP 4" . Sadly Canon does not support the older EOS 1 models for the newer DPP .

In the end i agree with you about the hind leg ..... but even with the latest fancy peace of PS or a 3rd party plugin i can get this not sharp :e3 and i have to take it as is .

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
11-28-2015, 12:16 PM
" calculations / blending modes / curves " .

And it's all there and has been within PS for a very long time, not sure now I can do the calculations though, and it did create huge files too.

I do feel that revisiting old files only illustrates how good the original capture really was!

Andreas Liedmann
11-28-2015, 02:14 PM
And it's all there and has been within PS for a very long time, not sure now I can do the calculations though, and it did create huge files too.

Yes very old PS stuff , but how many of us use it ? My guess is not many even know about it , huge files are not really an issue for me though as i own now the little dust bin :w3 i just only need to push the ram a tad more for even more performance .
BTW since " El Capitan " the OS supports now 10 bit color depth ..... but only for the newer machines including the " dust bin " ...... just a quick tip for the ´Maestro´

Steve Kaluski
11-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Until I know it's stable, El Capitan can sit on the shelf.

Marc Mol
11-28-2015, 04:53 PM
A not often enough posted subject here Andreas, love the pose and contrasting ear tuft colour, can't say I really noticed this before.

Granted an increase in S/S would have been nice, but like us all......we've moved on from 8 years ago.:bg3:

TFS

Andreas Liedmann
11-29-2015, 06:09 AM
Thank you Marc for your view and comment ..... much appreciated.

Agree with you about the SS , i still do that to date from time to time as i do not go out and shoot too often , so it is not an automatic behavior from my side .And when it comes to the point to make the right decisions quickly ..... many times i am lost :wave:.

Cheers Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
11-29-2015, 12:06 PM
What beautiful rhino, Boetie. I am grateful for your "oldish mood" as I enjoyed looking at this prehistoric looking character, very much!

I like the pose, not defiant but rather inquisitive. Lovely detail on the face, cannot believe this is so good at 1/180s! A pity about the hind leg but we forgive you, this was taken long time ago:w3

Framing is good but a bit more on top would have been nice, very attractive BG with a splash of colour. Superb PP work Andreas, thank you so much for sharing:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Jonathan Ashton
11-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Great shot I love the details in the head and neck. I am surprised it is so sharp at the given shutter speed but sharp it is and it is a super shot.

Andre Pretorius
12-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Hi Andreas

Love this warrior, much more impressive than our Tanks... (he just looks very funny with those long ear tuffs, our Rhino's much shorter!)
VERY sharp for 1/180, as it was moving, or was he standing still and only waving the left rear foot?:bugeyed:
I do not mind the the moving foot, shows the animal was moving.
Would like a bit more on top of those Elephant grasses, was it distracting?
Nice one Buthi, I have and old one in mind to return to with newer PP.

Andreas Liedmann
12-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks Gabriela , Jon and Andre Buthi for your kind comments very much appreciate them all .

Gabriela and Andre - yes i do have more on top in original capture ...... but i made a level mistake in capture .... so i had to level the image in post , therefor i lost some of the " nice" BG :bugeyed: , sadly ,i wished for more .

Cheers Andreas

haseeb badar
12-05-2015, 06:40 AM
Hi ANdreas -- Lovely image ! those tufted ears looks amazing and you have done wonderfully well with those settings .
TFS !