PDA

View Full Version : Theme Leopard amidst tall grass

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-26-2015, 11:39 PM
A male leopard takes a breather in the grasslands of Okavango Delta, Botswana. The OOF blade in front of the chest was not ideal but the pose and HA was very nice. I liked the way the habitat with golden and red reeds contrast with the leopard. He was side lit as well.
Lonely planet has rated Botswana as the No 1 destination for travel in 2016, so one can expect a surge in crowds! Hope that won't impact the pristine wildlife there. It was a gorgeous place and we were blessed with some great sightings, unforgettable indeed.
1/800
f/7.1
ISO 400
7D II
100-400 II @ 400mm

keith mitchell
11-27-2015, 08:42 AM
Sanjeev looking at animals that I am not all that familiar with, this looks very good I really like the multi-coloured grass ,must be a great place to visit.

Keith.

Neil Williams
11-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Sanjeev was the ISO400 your go to ISO or something you did on the fly?
Fantastic picture by the way

Rachel Hollander
11-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Hi Sanjeev - Looks like the light was a bit harsh too. Nice eye contact but you certainly have much better in your portfolio of leopard images.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Hi Sanjeev, sometimes you have to accept things and something like the blade of grass may not have been visible in the viewfinder sadly? Typical colours from Bots with the grass and a classic pose. I might suggest bringing the whites back so they are less bright, it may then bring some tone there which will help???? Personally I would have gone to 800 for a bit more SS, DoF looks spot on likewise the PP, very nice indeed.

Going off Topic, but are you understanding what the 'Cases' do and how it affects the AF & Tracking, as I feel you need to grasp this bit too, for next year. I can't write reams about this, is on a one to one, but just thinking ahead and an area that is often left to 'default'.

Cheers
Steve

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-28-2015, 06:06 AM
Steve, yes I can pull the whites back a bit. Will do so. You are right, I do leave the 'cases' to default. Will do some reading about it and will get back to you by email if I need anything. Thanks a stack!

Steve Kaluski
11-28-2015, 06:15 AM
That's fine Sanjeev, FYI between now and the end of December I'm flying around everywhere (a bit manic) so may not get back to you instantly.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Neil, on the 7D II my go to ISO is 400 and I use anything between 400-1600, where as on the 5D III I use 800 as base ISO and go up to 3200 (max 6400 or rare occ).

Andreas Liedmann
11-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Hi Sanjeev i like this image for its content ... the pose , BG does look very nice .Lovely sharpness ; detail and colors .
You might have better ones :w3, i would be more than happy if would have one like this in my portfolio :S3:.
Just think the face is a bit light, and the shadow side of the face does look worked on a fraction too much from the tonal POV .

Steve ...... i think with static looking images like this one ...... i think one can get along with the " factory case " , or what would you suggest for this specific frame ?

Nice one Sanjeev , TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
11-28-2015, 11:39 AM
i think one can get along with the " factory case " , or what would you suggest for this specific frame ?

In this instance yes, providing it's the right one. All I am saying is that often this is forgotten about, but more importantly people are confused in what they do, however they are there to help you :bg3:. In all honesty there are only two I tend to use, slightly customised, with two configured for specific shooting and you can set them so easily and in the order you want too.

Andreas Liedmann
11-28-2015, 11:44 AM
You are right about the endless options of the latest generation of cameras does not matter what brand , and i also think it is somehow confusing sometime .

Would you be so kind to say what cases you use ?

I bet one is #2 and the second one might be ..... initial feeling #5

Steve Kaluski
11-28-2015, 11:51 AM
The 'options' are there for specific shooting, but once you understand what they do, brake & accelerator it's quite simple.

My settings, now you know better than that Andreas, LOL. :bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
11-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Mmmmhhh well as many times ..... you let me fish in very dirty water :bg3:

Neil Williams
11-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Neil, on the 7D II my go to ISO is 400 and I use anything between 400-1600, where as on the 5D III I use 800 as base ISO and go up to 3200 (max 6400 or rare occ).
Sanjeev
I guess that would be the same as saying on a D800e 400 up to 1600 and on the D4s 800 to 3200...................sound about right?

haseeb badar
12-05-2015, 06:36 AM
Hi Sanjeev -- I agree with Rachel that you do have great leopard images but this one is worth keeping because of the lovely habitat and its colours .
TFS!