PDA

View Full Version : Common Merganser (Male)

Daniel Cadieux
11-26-2015, 05:06 PM
This is the first time I've had the pleasure of successfully photographing a male of the species. It still has a few feathers finishing up the molt, but otherwise looking good. They are normally very skittish around these parts, but this fella responded to the audio quite well (although I suspect it would not have responded as well had I not been concealed within tall grasses).

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2500s., f/8, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, about 80% FF, a few highlights in the water patched out. In hindsight I might eliminate the lower of the two catchlights.

Karl Egressy
11-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Great success to capture this male, Daniel. Love the low shooting angle and head turn.

keith mitchell
11-27-2015, 04:17 AM
Looks like you got down low again Dan, bird itself looks very good and the bow wave just adds another dimension, nice work.

Keith.

John Robinson
11-27-2015, 06:15 AM
Nice one Dan
Good Blacks and Whites. Catchlights don't bother me.
John

David Cowling
11-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Nice one Dan.. Great job on getting so close to a male bird. Lovely low shooting angle and the bird is showing a good head turn. They are called Goosanders over here.

Jim Crosswell
11-27-2015, 12:08 PM
I like the low shooting angle, head turn, bow wave, exposure, details and composition. Congratulations on adding the male to your files. Excellent image as always!

William Dickson
11-27-2015, 12:25 PM
Lovely POV and pose on the bird. Great colours and I love the wave.

Will

Ross Taylor
12-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Hi Daniel,

Congrats on getting him to approach you. Very nice shot! I love the slightly up-tilted bill.

I noticed the 2nd catch light before reading your mention of it. So yes I'd go after it ;)

Does the plumage surrounding the eye and cheek areas seem a little lacking in contrast to you? Perhaps it is just the hues that are giving me that impression?

TFS
Ross

Daniel Cadieux
12-07-2015, 05:44 AM
Thanks Ross! It looks like it may be the hues playing tricks, or the way the light is hitting those areas.