PDA

View Full Version : Cormorant Take-off

shane shacaluga
11-25-2015, 06:02 AM
Cormorants have arrived in force here for the winter. After an unsuccessful fishing trip i decided to make use of the time getting back to shore to take a few pics of them. It has been a while since i took my camera with me for a whirl

I tried to get a few of them taking off but the cluttered background and moving boat was playing havoc with my control of the focus point. I managed to get one which I think is a keeper

As always i tried to expose to the right to show details on the blacks. Maybe could have gone for a bit more SS as the was a slight blur on the highlights in the eye of the main subject

D800e
300f4 + 1.4x TC11
f5.6
1/2000
ISO 800

toned done some dark blotches on the background wall and lowered highlights all round really as sun was quite harsh on light coloured limestone. Cropped about 25% off for composition
Selective sharpening on face of both birds and closest wing of the one in flight

Thanks for your comments

keith mitchell
11-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Must be difficult working from a boat Shane, I like the composition and the take off pose of the bird, both of the birds look a little soft but that could well be my eyes, very well caught.

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
11-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Well caught I see you exposed well to the right, I am just wondering if I would add a little Selective Colour Black - black say 1-2? You did very well indeed to get both heads in focus.
I think maybe a tad more sharpening on the heads and or a USM mask for a little more contrast.

Stu Bowie
11-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Hi Shane, great take off pose, and against the lighter BG. Great that he cleared the cormorant at the back. Love their green eyes.

Daniel Cadieux
11-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Hi Shane, I like the scene very much with the two subjects and rocky habitat. I do feel the image is too bright and "cold". For the repost I recovered the highlights, deepened the blacks a tad, and warmed up the overall WB.

shane shacaluga
11-30-2015, 05:32 AM
Thanks a lot for the comments guys, sorry been away on business since I posted.

I really like the repost and will try the suggested improvements on the RAW to get a new version.

Yes working from the bow of my boat on my own is not easy. Need to get close enough from the steering console then walk to the bow without frightening the subject or crashing into the rocks.

Thanks again