PDA

View Full Version : Red-tailed Hawk juvenile

Bill Dix
11-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Often when we drive up to New England we stop for a picnic lunch at the State Line Lookout, hoping to catch a raptor riding the thermals over the Palisades on the Hudson River. On this day there were four Red-tails, several playing around the cliffs and this one harassing a Black Vulture on a nearby perch. The only trouble with our lunch stop is that it puts the sun directly overhead as in this shot, although there was some haze on this day to mitigate it a bit.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 800, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual, Gitzo and Mongoose.

Jonathan Ashton
11-24-2015, 11:53 AM
Bill you have been posting some great images and this is another, nice lighting a good pose and I like the foliage.
My only minor criticism is the under wings trailing edges of the wings appears to show a little noise.

Karl Egressy
11-24-2015, 04:13 PM
Nice flight shot, Bill. Love the banking pose. I see some yellow color cast mostly in the far wing.

Satish Ranadive
11-25-2015, 12:05 AM
Excellent flight shot, bill sir. Very nice colour pallet. I like the under wing pattern.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
11-25-2015, 01:41 PM
Hi Bill, I do like this flying pose showing off both underwing detail nicely. I dont know this bird, but feel that is a yellow cast on the far wing. Im glad you left the OOF foliage.

Bill Dix
11-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys. I had noticed that yellow cast, but figured it was reflected light from the tree he was flying past, and left it untouched. But is distracting, so here is a version without it (and hopefully with a bit less noise?)

Jim Crosswell
11-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Excellent image Bill! I like the pose, sharpness, composition and repost looks better.