PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Lorikeet

Paul Gobert
11-24-2015, 12:29 AM

Rainbow Lorikeet, wild bird photographed on branch above bird feeder.
Pentax *1stDS, Sigma 400mm f5.6, extension tube, hand held, (supported on window ledge).
Manual focus, 1/125 sec, 200 ISO, aperture not recorded.
Fill flash top RHS.
No PP , RAW, converted to JPEG in Stepok (I think).

Comments on PP possibilities appreciated.
Thanks
Paul.

Don Railton
11-24-2015, 05:53 AM
Hi Paul

Nice close up of the head with a nice sharp eye... I do think though that you have ended up with over saturated colours however. I am not sure what Stepok is but if it has adjustments try and pull back the saturation..

DON

Paul Gobert
11-24-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks Don,
Stepok is a RAW developer and yes there is a saturation adjustment there. I just ran the RAW file through the Pentax software which I didn't have when I took this photo.It came out identical to the previously posted one. Saturation, contrast etc had been both set to zero in camera.
The example below I ran through Stepok and reduced the saturation slider to 90.( scale from zero to 200 with 100 being default) It has lost a lot of the impact but is a better representation of what the bird actually looks like I feel.
When using some of the older lenses that I have I find that I have to bump up the in-camera saturation and contrast to get a realistic looking JPEG. Here is a case of a film era lens where it looks like I need to do the opposite.
Paul

Diane Miller
11-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Very nice shot, but the repost is now noticeably flat. I'd go for about halfway in between.

There is a lot more to color than the saturation slider. Adjusting the blacks and whites (along with other tonal controls) will affect saturation.

I don't know that software, but sooner or later I'd bet you're going to want something with more sophistication. There is a ton of information here on BPN. My recommendation starts and ends with Lightroom (combined with Photoshop for more advanced adjustments). Photoshop comes with the Adobe Camera Raw converter (same engine as LR but a less-elegant interface). If you don't want PS, LR alone can do a lot, including file management. The subscription to both for $10 a month is the equivalent of a visit to Starbucks about once a week.

And of course a good calibrated monitor is very important.

I see your posted image does not have an embedded profile. Check out the tutorial in Educational Resources, How to Prepare Images for the Web.

Or there is Photoshop Elements, with a simpler raw converter. The settings will work on a JPEG, but with very limited tonal overhead.

Don Railton
11-24-2015, 11:18 PM
Hi Paul.

I would agree with Diane.. I think You went too far and it's now flat, although closer to actual. I think if you go down the adobe route, there will be heaps of support from within this forum and even from outside. The post processing of digital images is almost as important as the capture of the image...

DON

Paul Gobert
11-24-2015, 11:46 PM
Thanks Dianne and Don, some good suggestions to follow up on there.

Paul.

Glennie Passier
11-25-2015, 02:33 AM
Welcome Paul. Another Aussie!

I like the unusual pose of the lorikeet. I have to say that I like your repost better than the OP. I think the colours are a bit more natural. I will leave the PP for others to comment on. I am on the "Adobe" route, as Don called it, and have no clue how to help with the "stepok" software.

Glennie

Paul Gobert
11-25-2015, 03:53 AM
Hello Glennie,
Thanks for the comments. Stepok is a free RAW converter, rather basic, which I used as a stopgap as my first DSLR was purchased secondhand and didn't come with the bundled software.
Has been a real learning curve so far resurrecting a non-functioning camera by the use of appropriate batteries and the liberal use of aerosol contact cleaner at the control wheel. (scary that).
Lightroom and Photo Shop are on my to do list. Project at the moment is to get house, cars and garden in order so that I can "go bush" more with camera. Up here we only have two seasons. The Wet and the Dry.
Prime nature photography time at the moment.

Paul.

Paul Gobert
11-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Peaceful Dove.
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Have been wading through the site and am impressed with the quality of work and literature available.
Downloaded Lightroom and Photoshop CC , so now the learning curve begins.
Some very good information you have posted on the site Diane.
Its become very obvious to me that I have been concentrating on low ISO and depth of field too much and being burdened by the use of slow shutter speeds or need of supplementary lighting.
The photo included reflects a change in technique.

Pentax K30, Beroflex 500mm f8 preset lens and 9 cm of extension tubing.
ISO 1600, 1/250 sec f8, Av, spot metering. Tripod.
Bird on branch above feeder photographed through open window.
Still a PP novice so just removal of sensor dust spot (must clean the sensor) and preparation as per Diane's suggestions.
I'm not happy with the positioning of the bird in the frame. Beak too close to edge and lower foot not in frame.
Going for a shorter lens to give me a bit of cropping room.
The shorter lens is more modern and should be sharper than the Beroflex which could do with a clean.

Comments welcomed
Paul.

Paul Gobert
11-29-2015, 07:55 PM
Sorry about the doubling up of the photo. Just a novice
Paul.

Glennie Passier
11-29-2015, 11:12 PM
Hello Paul.

Can I suggest you start a "new thread". Just under the bright yellow bar.

I too, had struggled with low ISO and shutter speeds. I am still struggling with the high ISO and SS but I am so much more happy with the outcome. A lot less processing in PP as well.

There is plenty of help to guide you through the PP learning curve. Have fun! I like the little peaceful dove and agree with your own critique. You could make a bit canvas on the RHS to give him a bit more room. Maybe a play with sharpening and levels would be OK.

Glennie

Diane Miller
11-29-2015, 11:30 PM
I'm on the road and just with my iPhone for another day or so. The image quality looks good on it, with good lighting and exposure and tonalities. Will have another look when home. I'd love to have some of these cuties outside my window!

When you're too close for the focal length it sometimes works to switch the camera orientation (to horizontal in this case) and quickly shoot two images to stitch together. Keep the focus the same. Exposure is a little more forgiving as the software Will match a small difference.

Paul Gobert
11-30-2015, 12:31 AM
Glennie good suggestion about the new thread.
Moving away from concentrating on DF has had other benefits too.
The ugly mixture of fence and foliage behind the bird which has now blurred nicely, so no need to make a backdrop anymore.
I was rather amazed at how much of the bird ended up in near focus given the f stop and magnification. Fuzzy feet would have ruined the photo I feel.
Have read in forums about adding canvas so thats something I have yet to learn and see if I can keep the height/width ratio.

Diane, Thanks for the comments and hope the photo stands up to detailed scrutiny. Cute little birds they are indeed but can be far from peaceful when confronting other birds.
I noticed Arthur Morris mention the idea of taking multiple photos when too close. On one of his youtube presentations I think. Good idea. Very hard to get these little fellows to stay still long enough though. Have switched over to 400mm lens and even that might be too long if one of the Emerald Doves sits on the branch. Most birds don't spend long on the branch heading straight down to the food trays. Quite a few birds bathing lately, Magpie Lark, Chestnut Manikin Finch, Lewin Honeyeaters.

Paul.