PDA

View Full Version : Serengeti Stripes

Jeffrey Sipress
06-05-2008, 11:11 PM
In contrast to the predominance of close-up, intimate views of wildlife on these boards, I often prefer critterscapes, showing creatures in more of their environment. This makes it difficult to classify an image as either wildlife or landscape, since it may qualify as both. I decided this was a wildlife image, but it was a tough call.

Serengeti Plains, Tanzania. May, 2008
Canon 1DsIII, 500mm +1.4x.

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/zebragroup2s.jpg

Steve Canuel
06-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Looks like a wildlife image to me. I like the light and the distance/openess portrayed by the trees in the BG. As a personal thing, I'd crop a little off the left (as viewed) and clone out the two zebras with their heads down so I could have two zebra butts as my framing elements on each side.
Steve

Vincent Grafhorst
06-06-2008, 06:01 AM
A lovely moody zebrascape Jeffrey. I really like the atmosphere it breathes and it makes me wanna be there!

Dave Phillips
06-06-2008, 06:40 AM
that view with that focal length is awesome and various levels of haze are sweet.

Steve Wheeler
06-06-2008, 09:55 AM
The mood this image creates is outstanding... As Vincent said... Makes me want to be there!

Steve

Grady Weed
06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I can hear the snorts of the zebras, the bugs dive bombing you, feel the wind blowing and the warm glow of the sun! Africa...nothing quite like it. I really like the warm glow of the light. It has a calm quiting effect. The herd is alert but peacefully grazing. This image conveys a ton of emotion, lots of positive impact here. Maybe lighten up the lower bottom just a tad. Personal preference. A wall hanger.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Great light, mood and composition. I'm wondering if brightening the lower part would improve the image or not.

Jeffrey Sipress
06-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Vincent, you ARE almost there. I see where you live!

Bill Whitney
06-07-2008, 05:20 AM
Jeffrey....fantastic image. love the feel with the lightingand haze.

Gus Cobos
06-07-2008, 05:17 PM
This is right out of National Geographic...:eek: congratulations.. you told the story on this one...:cool:

Sabyasachi Patra
06-08-2008, 04:26 AM
I like this image. Like the lighting. Earlier I used to strive for capturing only the face of the tiger. With the passage of time, I have realised that it is better to show the environment and the interrelations between the animal and the environment. Thanks for sharing.

Eleanor Kee Wellman
06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
This tells a beautiful peaceful story. The light makes it very special and yes, I too, would love to be there.

For me, having this kind of image is every bit as important as the bold close-up as they are all part of the bigger story. One type of shot does not eliminate the other type but adds to the whole.

Mike Tracy
06-10-2008, 11:24 AM
This screams travel poster. Really like the mood. Agree with Axel's idea about tinkering with lightening the lower area because my eye seems to want to wander to those magnificent trees more then the zebras.

Steve Foss
06-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Masterful story of light and pattern. Just right!