PDA

View Full Version : Wattled Lapwing

Stu Bowie
11-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Here is shot of a different species of Lapwing that I managed to capture whilst walking the dogs on Saturday afternoon. This flight pose is when he has reached his height, and is turning around for a another 'dive bomb' towards either me or the dogs.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +1.4 TC = 420mm
1/2500
F/6.3
ISO 800

Hand held

gail bisson
11-18-2015, 04:59 AM
This is excellent Stu.
Love how the light is shining on his face, the perfect HA and the way the head has cleared the far wing.
Fanned tail is a nice bonus.
Gail

Steve Kaluski
11-18-2015, 05:48 AM
Very nicely exposed Stu, that combo and clean BKG where nothing locks onto, but the subject, is perfect. Personally I might go slightly tighter in, unless this is a crop? I think Axel will give the birds a run for their money.

Sorry Bud, meant to drop you a line about the Challenge, it was dropped on me late yesterday :bg3:, but I know you'll come up trumps, especially with your PC back.

TFS
Steve

Ross Taylor
11-18-2015, 05:54 AM
Hi Stu,

What colors! Love the way we can see the contours of the upper wing in this shot Stu :)

It seems like only one leg is trailing behind, which seems a little off from this angle. What do you think Stu?

Ross

Stu Bowie
11-18-2015, 07:29 AM
It seems like only one leg is trailing behind, which seems a little off from this angle. What do you think Stu?

Ross

Thanks Ross. The other leg could be splayed out behind the fanned tail. I will look at the next frame later at home, which doesnt have as good flight pose. These guys are very busy when they are disturbed in the grasslands. They literally take off squawking, fly into the air, and then fly down 'dive bombing' who ever they decide is the biggest 'threat'. As they get close, they literally turn away and land away in the grasses. All fun and games, and great to get these shots, but they are pretty quick fliers. :w3

Rachel Hollander
11-18-2015, 07:52 AM
Hi Stu - very nice flight shot. Colors and sharpness look great. Interesting to see the top side. Light is beautiful as always. Do the dogs count as bait?

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
11-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Stu just looking for comparisons with your other post of this bird which was great, this looks spot on.

Keith.

Bill Dix
11-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Don't see flight shots of this species very often. (or never?) Nice capture, with great colors. Love the way the wings frame the head.

Ross Taylor
11-18-2015, 02:56 PM
Sounds like incredible fun photographing these beauties, Stu!

William Dickson
11-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Another great capture Stu. Love the detail (again) :S3:

Thanks for sharing

Will

Grace Scalzo
11-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Crazy that you can photograph while walking the dogs. Mine would have me doing a face plant on the ground. Really a nice capture, sharp, filled with detail and colors. Good job.

Daniel Cadieux
11-19-2015, 05:43 AM
Really wicked pose here Stu. Very sharp, great colours. Man, that near wing looks great. I'm with Steve about a bit tighter crop if not already cropped too much.

Geoffrey Montagu
11-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Wonderful flight image, Stu. Great light with excellent detail on this beautiful bird.

Geoffrey

Jim Crosswell
11-19-2015, 07:36 PM
I like the HA, sharpness, details and fanned tail. Another beauty from your walk Stu.

David Salem
11-23-2015, 02:53 AM
I need to start taking my dog with me:w3 These birds seem to be pissed off by your dog and this is giving you some great flight opps. Great banking pose and a nice look at the face and the wattle. Another really nice frame Stu!