PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Night

David Cowling
11-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Stopped by here to see what the chances of an image might be. The ground fog was very dense and I was not able to see the wind pump at all. I was just going to call it a day when a car went past and the headlights lit up the cap of the mill. I set up the tripod and waited to catch it again. This is quite a remote area and it was a 40 min wait before another car passed.

Panasonic Lumix LX100. Tripod

15 secs @ f 1.6 ISO 1600.

Rachel Hollander
11-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Hi David - While the techs look good, this one just isn't grabbing me. I think it's hard to really show the fog and still define the mill effectively. And then the water isn't really identifiable yet you have the reflection floating in the middle of nowhere. I know there's water there from your prior posts but as a standalone image would not know it. Sorry, just personal taste.

TFS,
Rachel

Jerry van Dijk
11-19-2015, 04:10 PM
A nice and unusual image. Stars look great and I love your story on how you got all that light on the mill. Maybe my monitor is too bright, but I can clearly distinguish the water and even see some stars reflected in it.

David Cowling
11-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Hello Jerry. Thank you for your kind remarks. I didn't want to disagree with Rachel, but I can also see the water on my monitor. I too thought it may have been too bright although it was freshly calibrated. I am looking on my tablet now and can see the water. Perhaps others may disagree.

Diane Miller
11-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Intriguing and different -- well worth the effort. I think it's worth a little tweaking of the processing, to try to bring out the body of the mill, the fog and water a little more, and subdue the bright light on the top of the mill. You may be running into noise issues, though. Do you have other shots (without the car light) that might have been at a higher exposure, that could be darkened a little? That would help with noise. And then you might be able to composite the top of the mill with its exposure brought down.

With scenes where the lighting is dark, it pays to shoot several exposures with the thought of compositing them.

Don Lacy
12-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Hi David, I think Diane hit on everything I was seeing but I do like the concept.