PDA

View Full Version : Behind The Arch

Don Lacy
11-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Not sure about this one its a little un orthodox when it comes to the composition would be interested in what you guys think about it. This image was made at Broken Arch on the morning a front was coming through my shooting companions had a better spot of just the canyon and some nice foreground boulders I decided to look for something different and used the side of the arch to create depth to the image.

Canon 6D, 16-35 at 16mm, two image hand blended

Don Railton
11-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi Don

The sky is nice and the FG has interest but that big discontinunity through the middle (the arch) is not working for me. Eye gets trapped on the RHS of image ... I would crop this to remove the sky RHS side of the image and also a little more off the bottom, maybe lift the exposure on the arch just a tad..

DON.

David Cowling
11-17-2015, 06:43 AM
Hello Don. I studied the image before reading the comments but I also agree that the sky at RH is taking my eye away from the main part of the image, although I am undecided as to exactly where the crop should be. If the whole part of the sky is cropped out it leaves the image looking squeezed. The techs are very good with a beautifully exposed sky. I like the way that the sun is just catching the underside of the clouds and adding that wonderful colour.

Rachel Hollander
11-18-2015, 08:09 AM
Hi Don - Beautiful sky and colors. You've brought out nice detail in the rocks. My first thought upon opening the image and before reading the comments was also that I would have tried shooting this with the arch as my right edge. Perhaps you experimented with ones that way too.

TFS,
Rachel

Jerry van Dijk
11-19-2015, 04:14 PM
Hi Don, I like the experiment. Although I see the point of the others, the current composition does create a feeling of depth, you can nearly sense the arch towering above you. I think it helps that the lines of the clouds in the sky on the right continue at the left side of the arch. It's just enough to draw my eye into the image despite of the discontinuity caused by the arch. Is it me or is the horizon sloping towards the left?

dankearl
11-22-2015, 02:54 PM
I agree on the comp critique, different, but not for me.
The sky and the image IQ is general is superb.

Diane Miller
11-23-2015, 11:39 AM
I appreciate the unusual composition. The sky is gorgeous! I do feel some CW rotation is in order, even if the camera was level. I would consider bringing the rocks/arch a little lighter, and would try a subtle darkening of the sky to the right of the arch.

Nicely seen!

Morkel Erasmus
11-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Hi Don. Love the composition in general and the light/colours.
I do think the image is/feels slanted and could be rotated for correct horizon perspective. The midtones also feel very "muddy" and could use a lift (often the result of inadequate adjustments during blending).

Andrew McLachlan
11-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Hi Don, I like the comp...it is different, but works for me...I too think it needs some rotation and I am wondering what it may have looked like with a long exposure to blur the clouds into a wash of colour...the clouds to me, as presented, look to have a bit of a multiple exposure look to them.