PDA

View Full Version : The last flash of the night.

David Cowling
11-12-2015, 04:10 PM
As the daylight creeps in from the east the lighthouse can take it's rest. This is Happisburgh Lighthouse on the North Sea Coast of England. I have great affection for this light as it was the first light to welcome me to my home port 12 miles further down the coast in the days when I was a ships captain.

Panasonic Lumix LX100

1/50th @ f 8 ISO 200

Don Railton
11-12-2015, 11:18 PM
Hi David

I understand your affection, I think its catching.. Great image, but i think it would appeal to me more if it was a little brighter RHS... I also see a blue cast in the whites which I would address first.

DON

Rachel Hollander
11-13-2015, 09:21 AM
Hi David - Thanks for explaining your connection though it's a photogenic lighthouse without the connection too. Don has made good points with which I agree. The image also feels unbalanced to me but that could just be me. I wonder if shifting the lighthouse more to the left of the frame would have been possible.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
11-13-2015, 11:20 AM
I like the scene as presented, it appears very natural to me, I find the composition is quite pleasing and the darker RHS is smaller in area compared to the larger paler area on LHS, composition is not a strong point for me..but I think it looks good!

David Cowling
11-13-2015, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the feed back. Jonathan, I am pleased that you like it as presented. I tried to give the impression of the daylight coming in from the east (LH) and the night retreating to the west.Don and Rachel, there is a lot of sense in the recommendations you made. I have re-worked the image to your suggestions and it has created a much different image. See what you think. I think the foreground is too bright now.156934

Rachel Hollander
11-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Hi David - I am presuming that you added canvas on the right because I can see the repetition in the grass and clouds. If you don't have more room or another image with the lighthouse more to the left (but not centered) I would leave the comp as is in the op. I can't comment on the tones because I am not on my calibrated monitor now.

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
11-14-2015, 04:29 AM
Really nice light and mood David.
I am fine with the original composition but there's a distinct drop in exposure in middle from L to R.
Almost as if you had a grad filter on sideways?

Don Railton
11-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Hi David

I also prefer the original composition. I agree the RP is quite different and without the mood associated with the original. To reiterate, I would have just corrected the WB first up so the whites stood out more, then assessed the need to lighten the RHS, especially since you want to show sun rising..

DON

Don Lacy
11-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Hi David, i like the op the best as far as the composition goes I agree with DAn on the cast and evening out the tones a bit between the bright and dark sides

David Cowling
11-17-2015, 09:17 AM
Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks everyone for the interest. I preferred the composition and mood of the original post but tried an RP which I didn't particularly like. Here is an RRP with some slight changes on the original image. Removing the cast on the whole image destroyed the mood of the sky so I applied it to the whites on the buildings only. I have also lightened the RH side sky as far as I want to go to preserve my original idea.156991

Don Railton
11-17-2015, 11:05 PM
:cheers:

don

Jerry van Dijk
11-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Well done on that final post David. I always wonder about correcting these blue casts in sunrise or sunset photos, because I do think the convey the sense of dusk or dawn with their blue shadows. Re. the composition: I would have preferred either the tower of the lighthouse exactly centered, or on one of the ROT lines.

Andrew McLachlan
11-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi David...I am late to the party, but the repost in Pane #10 address the RHS nicely and now works as presented.