PDA

View Full Version : Theme Royal Beast !

haseeb badar
11-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Hello everyone !

Another image of the same tiger from Gothangaon range of Umrer Karhandla Tiger Reserve .

Two reasons to post this in this months theme , 1) was not able to get the tail completely in the frame since i was shooting with 500 f4 ( ultimately cropped the little portion of the tail for framing ) 2) the plant creeping out right behind its head ( burned some bright spots on the plant ).

Canon 5D MK III , Canon 500mm f4 IS II , BEan Bag.

SS: 1/1000, Av: f/5.6 , iso: 4000

DPP 4 , CS 5 , Levels, Selective colour, burning, NR,Sharpening , cropped from bottom and LHS .

All your C&C's are most welcome.

Andre Pretorius
11-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Hi Hasseb

He has the proportions of a teenage cat..big enough to do serious harm but still awkward forms and that inquisitive look--ready to cause k....
I would try a different crop, push midtown contrast.
This is my try....

haseeb badar
11-13-2015, 04:08 AM
Thank you Andre -- Nice alternative , but i would prefer the framing of OP as it provides a nice full picture of the size of this subadult male. Thanks for the RP. :)

Steve Kaluski
11-13-2015, 04:15 AM
Hi Haseeb, I feel this is another instance of either too close, or wrong kit. Swopping to your 300 with even a 1.4 may have been better, or just backing off on your position, although I know how busy these sighting get, so perhaps not possible? Nice detail and I like Andre's option although you are cropping the **** out of the image.

A gorgeous looking animal, great condition too.

TFS
Steve

haseeb badar
11-13-2015, 05:50 AM
Thank you Steve for your feedback .

I dont have the 300mm anymore sold it in order to fund the 500f4 . Ours was the only vehicle during this sighting but had absolutely no space whatsoever to move around , so i guess 1.4 T.C. was the only option left to me .

Rachel Hollander
11-13-2015, 08:51 AM
Hi Haseeb- I agree with your self-critique and also it looks like you had to recover the top of the head a bit as the whites there look grey. We've all been there with the wrong lens. In the heat of the moment you always want to get something in case the animal decides to be move off but if given sufficient time, it's good to think about changing lens or adding/subtracting a tc. Perhaps you need a zoom with you for the versatility in these circumstances.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
11-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Hi Haseeb what a great looking tiger , i agree with Andre and his thoughts about his character :wave:.
Yes we all have been there regarding the kit combo , i mostly never try to change the TC īs as this cost time and time can be very useful when it comes to elusive subjects . So i rather shoot with the combo that is in use and try to make the best out of it . If time allows i change the combo .

The colors do look very nice in the frame , the tones could be a bit denser from my POV and you should watch the HL during shooting from time to time as they do look borderline and over that in parts ( Rachelīs comment) .

Still worth to keep and work with a different crop .

TFS Andreas

Nancy Bell
11-13-2015, 10:54 AM
How exciting to have such a terrific view of the mighty tiger! Hard to move vehicles just so and maybe disturb the tiger, so going with the camera/lens you have is best. Maybe more of just head and shoulders crop like a squarish portrait?

Gabriela Plesea
11-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Super sighting Haseeb, I got shivers down my spine when I saw the size of this tiger...

I would darken the BG here and crop like Andre... well, almost...On second thought I might place the tiger right in the centre of the frame. Stunning animal in great condition, perhaps the fur could do with a bit more "punch" if you know what I mean.

Read the comments above and I tend to agree with Steve about "wrong kit", not sure what other equipment you took along though? Easier for me and Andre, almost always in our own vehicle with everything lying on the seat nearby and ready to shoot. I find it a bit frustrating in a game viewer, even though I like the "fresh air" I have to look after my lenses and cameras and not always easy to grab something lying on the floor. All I can say is, if you have such amazing opportunities, give it all you got and shoot with everything at various apertures and change ISO more often, why not risk it sometimes - you never know what "gem" you might bring home:)

I really like the pose here and the look from the tiger, a keeper IMO. Like Andreas said, worth playing around with a bit more:w3

Kind regards,