PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Laundry

Anita Bower
11-12-2015, 07:27 AM
Taken at the house of my husband's Aunt Janet on Deer Isle, Maine.

CEP> Monday Morning, Contrast Only; T Adjust; T SimplifyTexture: "BF-Turtle": http://www.bellefleurtextures.com/CEP>

Hazel Grant
11-12-2015, 09:39 AM
love the use of textures, color and subject. A laundry line fits the theme so well. Debating over the large blank sky area. n the one hand t seems to overpower and take away from the real subject. On the other hand, the amount seems to balance out the large grass area. ... not sure.

Anita Bower
11-12-2015, 10:06 AM
love the use of textures, color and subject. A laundry line fits the theme so well. Debating over the large blank sky area. n the one hand t seems to overpower and take away from the real subject. On the other hand, the amount seems to balance out the large grass area. ... not sure.
Thanks for commenting. Good point about the sky. I agree with both views. I wonder what others will suggest.

Dennis Bishop
11-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Your husband's aunt has some great photographic material. I like what you did with this. The luminance difference compared to the background and both the laurndry basket and the angle of the clothesline make laundry stand out as the subject without diminishing the importance of the place. That tall tree on the left is important, so I definitely wouldn't crop to reduce the amount of sky. Perhaps adding some variability to the sky and darkening it a bit would address Hazel's comment.

Photoshop has a Difference Clouds feature under Filter>Render. I used that with reduced opacity, but adding clouds from anywhere would likely work.

Judy Howle
11-12-2015, 08:35 PM
I like the composition, processing and the edge treatment. Clotheslines are always appealing to me. I like Dennis' suggestion about adding some more grunge or clouds to the sky. Being picky... I would clone out the top clothesline. :c3: It is drawing my eye to it.

Anita Bower
11-13-2015, 05:32 AM
Hazel, Dennis and Judy: Thank you so much for your comments. I've incorporated them in this new version. I added a texture to the sky, and cloned out the top clothesline. Is it too dark? Other?

Hazel Grant
11-13-2015, 10:07 AM
like the sky better now. it does seem just a tad dark.

Nancy Bell
11-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Good addition to the sky, but now it does seems too dark and threatening. I liked the lighter feel of the first image. Wonderful hanging laundry and the clothes basket is a terrific element. Maybe a little less brightness on the metal stack from the roof behind the laundry?

Dennis Bishop
11-13-2015, 10:43 AM
I like the variability you added to the sky but agree that it might be good to lighten the image some.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Anita,

Greetings. As a vintage shot, I'm happy with the OP. I think the flat whites of the clothes, door and sky (window frame, too) strike a balance and a resonance that is lost to detailing the sky. The blurry splotches of the lawn don't work for me, I'd prefer the back part of the lawn be in focus to be consistent with depth of field with the basket to house being in focus. I really like the vintage look processing. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Anita Bower
11-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Thank you all for these very helpful comments! Good points made. I'll attend to them, but may not post the final version.

Judy Howle
11-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Just now getting around to seeing the repost. I agree with others that it is a bit dark now. It does look better without the top clothesline :w3 I agree with Michael about the blurry spots.