PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Rockport Wharf

Wendy Kates
11-11-2015, 06:08 PM
I was in Boston over the weekend for a wedding, and spent a couple of hours photographing the picturesque coastal town of Rockport. The sky was bright blue, as well as the water, so to produce this vintage scene, I first used several CEP filters, applied a Multiply blend at 54% opacity, and then took the image into Topaz Simplify where I applied the Buzz Sim Toned 3 filter. I did all of this last night, and then, today, was excited to see that Hazel applied a similar filter to her covered bridge. These filters really are perfect for creating a vintage look!

Dennis Bishop
11-11-2015, 08:32 PM
Did you see Motif #1 on the wharf in Rockport? It's a classic. Somewhere in my slide collection is at least one shot I took of it in 1967. (That might qualify for the theme as-is.)

Because Simplify gets rid of detail to some extent, I use it very early in my workflow. Did you notice if it diminished the effects you added earlier with Color Efex?

The color of your image fits my notion of a vintage photo, but the contrast seems high for one that's been around for a while and likely faded. I'd also expect some other deterioration. (All this is just my opinion, of course.)

Analog Efex comes along with Color Efex in the Nik Collection. Because I don't usually go for a vintage look, I hadn't tried it out before but decided to give it a go. There are a few presets but lots of sliders to modify them. Here's what happened.

Wendy Kates
11-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Thanks, Dennis. I took lots of photos of Motif #1: I was planning to process and post one in the next few days. I see what you mean about the contrast issue: the version you posted is a little too grungy for me, but I'll rework this one to increase the vintage effect. I also wondered what would have happened had I started out with Topaz...it may have reduced the effects of CEP...so I'll try that too. Your input is very helpful.

Wendy Kates
11-11-2015, 10:38 PM
I applied the antique plate II filter in Silver Efex, and then added a white grunge texture at 15% opacity. I think it increased the vintage effect (although from an artistic point of view, I think I like the OP better). I'll be interested in your comments!

Dennis Bishop
11-12-2015, 12:13 AM
I agree, Wendy, that your re-post looks more vintage. And that I overdid the aging effects when I played with the original. If vintage weren't a consideration, I'd still reduce the contrast in the original if it were mine. An image needs a certain amount of contrast so it doesn't seem flat, and some additional contrast can help to draw attention to the subject. High contrast throughout an image, though, can be intense, and it can leave the viewer unsure about the subject. In this case, I think, softening the town and trees in the background more than the house and stones would add depth and would isolate the foreground elements as the subject.

Anita Bower
11-12-2015, 10:45 AM
I like the pop and sharpness of the original. Although, the darks in the rocks may be too dark. It is a striking image which I immediately liked.

The repost by Dennis looks like a vintage photo that has had some water damage, which many of them have.

Wendy's repost looks more vintage. I would increase the contrast and add a little brightness. It looks a bit flat. What is the texture in the sky?

Wendy Kates
11-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Thanks, Dennis and Anita. Anita: I can easily lighten up some of the dark rocks in the OP. I agree that the repost is a little flat....I may rework it, or I may move on to another image! (I like the OP better so I'll probably concentrate on that.) The texture in the repost is a White Grunge texture, but I can't remember where I got it: perhaps Lil Owls.

Judy Howle
11-12-2015, 08:42 PM
I like your composition Wendy. I agree with Dennis that the original is too contrasty for a vintage look, but I think the re-post is too flat. I like Dennis' version a lot. I understand about getting tired of working on one and moving on. I do that all the time in the forum.