PDA

View Full Version : Mute Swan

Joseph Przybyla
11-08-2015, 11:24 AM
In August I was at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida. That lake has four species of swans. I tried photographing swans on the water but the heat shimmer made that impossible (mid-morning). While enjoying watching the swans and other birds this Mute Swan took exception to a goose being in the area. It strode up the ramp posturing, wings back, neck crooked, intimidating the goose. I was too close to do much else other than lower to it's level and capture the head and neck. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 270mm (405mm FFE)
1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering -1 EV ISO 140
Post processed in Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 10, smoothed and blended areas in the background, normal sliders, sharpening, and curves in Lightroom
Cropped for composition and presentation

Ross Taylor
11-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Hi Joe,

I notice this as being a case where a tight crop really works well in my eyes. The Swan's neck is such that it looks like it is trying to fit into the box that is the frame. I think this composition is exception in that regard.

The green OOF background is perfect, IQ is stunning. Capture of the whites was great and reveals much detail.

Truly a wonderfully creative shot :)

Ross

stuart wanuck
11-08-2015, 03:35 PM
You nailed it

Daniel Cadieux
11-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Nice curving neck line, and the whites look good. I love it when we can see the BG through the nostrils like we can here. Although the comp works, I still think a bit more room in front would work really well (perhaps in a 5:4 ratio).

Allen Sparks
11-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Hi Joseph,
Wonderful exposure and I like the tight framing. great pose and a terrific image.
Allen

Jonathan Ashton
11-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Great shot Joe, I like the composition the colours and the exposure - spot on!

gail bisson
11-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Really nice Joe. Whites look great and I love that I can see the BG through the nostril.
Gail

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Hi Joe, nice, clean and simple, but often the hardest to pull off, well done. PP is improving, but that is aided by a good image in the first place, so again, well done. Agree with Dan on a bit more in front, a quick & easy fix, but you may have it?

TFS
Steve

Marina Scarr
11-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Wow,Gail, you have an impressive eye!! Love the curve of the neck and the green BG. Agree on a tad more room above and right if you have it.