PDA

View Full Version : Portuguese Coast From Hotel Vila Gale

David Cowling
11-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Taken from the Hotel in the fishing village of Ericeira where my son lives. Early morning before the hotel guests messed up the symmetry. Converted to mono in PS6.

Panasonic lumix LX100. Hand Held.

1/125th @ f 8 ISO 200

Rachel Hollander
11-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Hi David - I like the conversion and the symmetry as you said. I do wish the fence and the rocks below did not intercept but I'm not sure if you could avoid it from your vantage point.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
11-09-2015, 08:10 PM
I agree with Rachel's comment regarding the fence merging with the rocky shoal...I am also wondering if including the entire pool would help this scene...I like the B&W conversion.

Don Railton
11-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Hi David. I Like the sky & the conversion. The symmetry is a bit too loose to work for me (maybe if you lined up the chairs between the two garden beds it would improve ) and i agree with Rachel WRT rocks and fence merging. I also see that the horizon need slight (very) clockwise rotation.

DON

Jonathan Ashton
11-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Quality looks good to me. Now don't take this to heart - composition not being my strong point but I am influenced by the previous comments which I generally try to avoid reading in advance of posting. From my perspective I looks and see a bit of conflict: - is it a shot of the hotel, or the scenery, or the hotel in the scenery - I think this is where I can see the problem with the railings being superimposed on the rocks, had they been separate the image would have clearly conveyed to me the hotel in a very nice setting.

David Cowling
11-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks everybody for the constructive critique, most of which I agree with. Jonathan, don't worry, if I couldn't take it I wouldn't be posting on these forums. I have learnt a great deal about the photographic process from the constructive comments my images have received. This was really a bit of a fun image, a view from the hotel which is very familiar to me, but a bit more than a holiday snap. I just wanted to know what people thought; now I know! Next time I will take a view from the railings of just the rocks and the coast.

Don Lacy
11-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi Favid, I think you needed to do two things first fnd a differnt shooting angle to correct the fence merging into the rocks and second include the whole pool as is it feels off balance and lacking a narrative.