PDA

View Full Version : Nomad's Monologue

Andre Pretorius
11-07-2015, 01:44 PM
An old image from 2012....

Life is very hard for a young nomad expelled from his pride. The resident male senses when the sub-adult has reached sexual maturity, he then starts the forceful removal of the youngster. This also prevents in-breeding, which is detrimental to the gene pool.

The young males become Nomads for a couple of years... a hard life... until they are big, and strong enough to challenge a pride male for his "possessions".

It is through those wanderings - since they are constantly trying to avoid the bigger males - that some become "problem" animals as they resort to taking live stock close to human settlements.

A hard life indeed, they are forced to suddenly be on their own and away from the security of their pride.

Techs:
Nikon D3S with 600f4
1/1000@ 4.5
ISO 1250
Aperture priority.

Rachel Hollander
11-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Hi Andre - He certainly looks skinny and hungry. I like him against the low grasses. Btw the image does not have an embedded color profile so there may be a shift when viewing on the web. I am unsure about the tree in the upper left but am not sure if this is already a crop. If IQ allows an alternative crop is to take some from the left and top to eliminate the tree.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
11-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Hi Andre -- Thanks for sharing the useful information . I think a 16:9 crop could also be tried on this or at least eliminate from the top till the browns in the BG .
Overall a very nice feel to the image and i love the settings .
TFS !

Nancy Bell
11-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Lovely lighting on this lion & nice up-tilt of the head towards you! I suggest a pano crop with just the grasses and the lion. This would further emphasize the loneliness and isolation of this lion. I have just learned from my recent visit to S. Africa how the hierarchy of lions change over time and it is indeed a tough and bloody struggle. For them it seems like a lion-eat-lion world for dominance.

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Hi Andre, you may wish to check your workflow, as that's two images that have not had the correct embedded profile :w3. Tweaking the Purple & Magenta I think will help reduce the slight cast to the BKG IMHO?

Nice detail and sharpness to the subject and I like the angle coming into frame, well exposed too, but for me, it's just a little lost within the overall composition.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
11-10-2015, 04:44 AM
Hi Andre yes he does not look well conditioned as skinny as he is , but that is tough Kalahari lion life .
I like the overall scene with the green :eek3: Kalahari , i agree with Rachel regarding the crop . I am fine with the overall loose framing of the lion and i like the tone and details you have achieved .
I am with Steve regarding his color observations , not just an issue of missing color profile , and yes look after your save for web presets as the last images you send me ( buff ) also had no color profile embedded :w3.

Nice one with little bit of tweaking it would be even better from my POV .

TFS Andreas

Andre Pretorius
11-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Thank you all for commenting and suggestions!:bg3:

The comp was the one point every-one had an issue with; I tried to create some depth, let the viewer experience the vast expanse of the Kalahari.
This I thought would be accomplished by anchoring the tree in BG.
Steve you are right, the lion is lost in the image, but that was the effect I wanted-- young and hungry wandering nomad, "lost" in the vast Kalahari....
Did Graduated filter in LR to darken and fade top part of image.

Re-cropped AND converted to profile.

The image might look better now, but in my eyes just another lion...
Maybe I should have mentioned what I had in mind in the intro...

Andreas Liedmann
11-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Hi Andre i agree with you the OP does work better , for me !
But i might discard the gradient in LR :wave:.

Still no color profile :w3 in the RP , you need to check your WF matey

Andre Pretorius
11-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Hi Andreas

DID convert to s-RGB with edit sub menu, AND checked box ticked in saving for web legacy....
PS CC....?

Andreas Liedmann
11-11-2015, 03:33 PM
PS CC ????? works as treat for me ....
No idea what issues you might have !

Steve Kaluski
11-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Andre, did you you Convert to Profile first then go to Legacy... Drop me a screen grab of your Legacy window.