PDA

View Full Version : Plas power waterfall

Jonathan Ashton
11-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Tripod Canon 1DX Canon 24-105mm L @35mm
Polariser, ISO 100, 1.6 sec f11.
Image taken near Wrexham in North Wales. I was a bit unsettled regarding composition on this image. I think there is too much fallen leaves on the RHS, I nearly cropped to the first "step" on the RHS.

Rachel Hollander
11-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Hi Jon- I had the exact same thought of a crop as you before reading your intro, though not because of the leaves, more because the reflected sky draws the eye and distracts. Nice job on the ss.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
11-07-2015, 11:56 AM
I would have stepped to the left if possible and gone with a slower SS.......

David Cowling
11-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Hi Jonathan. Nice image, SS about right for me. Agree about cropping to the first step. Is this a 'man made' fall? I photographed one near bye on the same river and the fall was man made.

Jonathan Ashton
11-08-2015, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I think he answer was to move further to the left, I have to admit I have recently purchased a book on landscape photography in North Wales and this is one of the images therein and the image in the book was further over to the left, trouble is I didn't have my wellies on.

Don Lacy
11-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Hi Johnathan, a lovely little stream and waterfall and nice balance of light and tones. If this were mine I would crop about half way to the first step

Diane Miller
11-08-2015, 11:24 PM
Very nice! Did you try bracketing composition? I'd love to see one with the camera pointed just a little higher and to the right, and a little wider angle, so that very nice tree wasn't right at the edge.

I'd also consider lightening the darkest tones a little.

Don Railton
11-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Hi Johnathon.

Pleasing image... Shutter speed good for me, agree with a little off the bottom. My biggest grip would be the darkening you have done to pull the sky back. Sorry to say, but it looks a bit crudely done. Its also pulled back the leaf which should be glowing.

DON

Andrew McLachlan
11-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Hi Jonathon...this looks like a lovely spot and certainly worth repeated visits throughout the seasons...Dan's suggestion to step to the left was going to be my suggestion too...this scene could work nice as a square crop too by eliminating the white sky above the tree and cropping its reflection out from the bottom...I would like to see a little more detail in the shadowed sections too. I like the leaves on the riverbank rock as they add a nice touch, but because they are dried out perhaps adding a bit of warmth to them would make them pop a bit.

Jonathan Ashton
11-10-2015, 03:55 AM
Thanks very much Diane Don and Andrew, I did bracket the images but I think this particular image is a single exposure and I used a graduated filter in ACR, there was a polariser on the lens. I attach a repost taking into consideration all comments, I think it looks a little better, I will have to revisit next autumn/fall.

Don Railton
11-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Yep, Its definately better to me...

Diane Miller
11-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Yes, I like this! Worth many visits!! Keep us posted.

Geoffrey Montagu
11-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Prefer the repost, Jonathan. What a great location. Like to richness of color, and dark rock faces.

Geoffrey

Jonathan Ashton
11-16-2015, 04:17 AM
Thanks very much everyone for looking and your comments.