PDA

View Full Version : Walrus

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2015, 04:33 AM
Having set out one morning to locate some Walrus's which we did and other Avian species, one of the better sightings was on the return back to ship. The pressure was on because of the thickening pack ice and neither we (in the zodiac), nor the ice breaker wanted to be stuck in it's path, so sadly very little time here. With limited opportunity and shooting from a speeding zodiac just compounded the issues in capturing the images making it difficult to frame things, as I would have liked a hint more at the foot of the image. With eyes closed he seemed quite relaxed and not stressed with our presence, albeit at speed.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus) lying on the pack ice
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO3200
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop from the top
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

Rachel Hollander
11-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Hi Steve - Nice to see a walrus on ice. We only saw them on land in the water. I don't mind the space at the bottom and might consider a tighter crop from the top to eliminate the floating ice and sort of balance the image a little more albeit as a pano. If you decide not to crop from the top then I would burn that ice because it is a little whiter/brighter and I find it drawing my eye. Overall nicely done.

TFS,
Rachel

Joseph Przybyla
11-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Wonderful animal, so unique. I agree with Rachel that my eyes are drawn to the white/bright areas at the top. I had a go at it and think that if you crop out the bright areas keeping all else the same it makes for a more powerful image. Thank you for sharing, Steve.

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Hi Rachel & Joe, just posting in between these windows and doors going in, then doing some remedial decorating on this little 'bolt hole' so I'm doing things a bit remotely.

The snow in the BKG is part & parcel of the scene and so I would feel rather uneasy about replacing it with the more neutral colour, although I might just add a Grad, but that will have to wait until I get back home.

Cheers guys :wave:

Andre Pretorius
11-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Hi Steve

Stunning image, detail and comp.

Would like to see your take with the Gradient Filter on those "floating clouds"...they keep drawing the eye.
Well captured at speed from the Zodiac!:cheers:

Gabriela Plesea
11-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Dear Steve,

I really appreciate you posting, despite being away, busy, and so much going on around you:)

Great techs, mmm...I see you don't play around...love it...especially the SS:5

Nice POV, well exposed, superb tonality, wonderful detail and colours...I like the image design and proportions - it all works so well IMO.

Re. floating ice at the top: to me it balances the image and "breaks" monotony in the upper part of the frame, not too distracting but perhaps worth reducing the brightness a tad.
Are those battle wounds on the Walrus's chest? Lots of character and I love the wrinkles, whiskers, and those massive "ivory tusks" - beautifully captured, thank you for sharing Steve, always a pleasure to view your images:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Would like to see your take with the Gradient Filter on those "floating clouds"...they keep drawing the eye.

In this instance Andre it would be in PP, just need to have a play. :w3

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Hi Gabriela, as Rachel knows, you need a high SS out on the zodiac, not the most comfortable and at times, dam cold, but easy to rack up the mileage too, however time flew with Ronald and Hendrik, a real laugh was had with every outing.

Because of the speed and constant change of position all the techs were so variable and shooting was at times 'by the seat of my pants' but all manageable within PP., if required.

Re. floating ice at the top: to me it balances the image and "breaks" monotony in the upper part of the frame, not too distracting but perhaps worth reducing the brightness a tad.
I will have a look when I'm back, often we look at the key elements within the picture, but overlook other parts which play an integral part too, so thanks to everyone. Sadly this time round there wasn't an opportunity to have a Braai :tinysmile_shy_t:.

Are those battle wounds on the Walrus's chest?

Didn't see them, drop me a line.

Lots of character and I love the wrinkles, whiskers,

It happens to us all when we get older :bg3:.

Nancy Bell
11-06-2015, 06:58 PM
The walrus is now at the top of my wish list of mammals and this really fuels my desire. Steve, even a speeding boat does not slow you down from getting a fabulous image! Great eye-level pose showing the massiveness of the animal, and a head profile showing both tusks, tough whiskers, & wrinkles, plus a tough hide and pink tone to the skin. I agree that the bkgd white shapes of ice could be toned down. They seem to have no dimension or connection to anything and the eye finds it hard to discern what they really are.

haseeb badar
11-07-2015, 05:46 AM
Hi Steve -- pretty late on this , but i would agree with most of the comments especially with the floating ice in the BG and hope to see a RP whenever you get the time to post one .Amazing work in speeding boat and great low POV , really a wonderful image overall .TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
11-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Hi Steve , i like the floating Walrus with a nice pose .
As always technically well processed and captured !!
I like the crop and do not mind about the snow patches , no way to void them , mostly in this kind of environment :wave:.
I am fine with the tones and colors in general , for my taste the darks (blacks ) are a tiny bit to solid in parts .And i can see the breast with the pinkish color a tiny bit denser from the tonal POV , just my thought .

If this was taken from a fast moving Zodiac , well you did so well !!!

Cheers Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
11-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Hello Steve:wave:

Whew, sorry to reply so late, a very special someone is coming to visit us here in SA and been busy with preparations...This terrible draught is taking its toll on us here in Northern Kwazulu Natal, by "us" I mean people and wildlife as well as domestic animals. For someone (like Andreas) who has been here and experienced the place as being humid, hot, lush and green, it would be quite a shock to see what it looks like these days. Been trying to save my plants this afternoon (instead doing my usual Saturday afternoon PP session) , a bit of water here and there just to keep them going. Walking through the garden I kept thinking " I'd much rather be on BPN Wildlife than do this", anyway here I am now, exhausted and kind of worn out after this hot, windy day... not a cloud in the sky, much like the Kalahari really...just the dunes are missing.

Steve - I will drop you a line, just wanted to take another look at your gorgeous Walrus and hijack your thread a bit:bg3: Regarding battle scars: I was referring to those scratches on the chest, maybe they are caused by contact with hard surface (ice) as the animal moves about? Would love to see more walruses if you have, meanwhile I will do some "research" on these guys to learn more about their behaviour:)

Chat soon, hope you have a wonderful evening,

Warmest regards,