PDA

View Full Version : Mist creeping in

David Cowling
11-05-2015, 04:49 PM
A heavy ground mist added interest to this image. I wanted to shoot star trails lasting an hour but the mist caused me to have to wipe the lens every 20 secs so had to settle for this. The colour RH side is light pollution which is a little blown, advice on how to tone thid down appreciated. Foreground lighting courtesy of the rising moon.

Panasonic Lumix LX100. Tripod
20secs @ f 1.7. ISO 800

Rachel Hollander
11-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Hi David - I like the mist but think overall the image feels a bit bright and light for a night scene. There seems to be a little more noise in this image than the prior ones posted. You could try playing with adjustments using the radial filter in ACR to deal with the area most affected by the light pollution.

TFS,
Rachel

David Cowling
11-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Hi Rachel. Thanks for your comments. Darker is easy but I am always amazed by how bright a well exposed night time image can be. Regarding the apparent noise:- The fog was very heavy, more like a drizzle with quite large water drops and I think it is more likely the return from this than sensor noise. Here is a RP with darker image and less saturation, I processed for full tonality and then pulled it down in curves.156776

dankearl
11-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Repost is better, I like the fog, you need a bit more exciting star show here, but nice techs and subject.

Don Lacy
11-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Hi David, I really like the mood here and composition. To tone down the light pollution you can burn the area in using one of several methods to replicate burning. You could also use curve adjustment with a layer mask to paint in the adjustment and the most advance method would be to use a curve adjustment and luminosity mask. I agree with Dan on more stars would have been nice but your rising moon is hiding them. Next time you might want to try to take an exposure when the moon is not in the sky and combine it with the moonlit exposure and get the both of both worlds.

Don Railton
11-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Hi David,

I like the repost, especially because of what you have done with pulling back the light pollution...

DON

Andrew McLachlan
11-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Overall a lovely scene but I do agree that the moon has hidden many stars...if you could re-shoot this scene on a moon-less night I think you would have a great image :)

Diane Miller
11-11-2015, 03:20 PM
I like the RP for the mood. A touch more saturation might be worth trying.