PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning on Lake Travers

Andrew McLachlan
11-04-2015, 08:47 PM
This image was created back in August in Ontario's Algonquin Provincial Park on Lake Travers. After creating some sunrise images from the shoreline, I went out to explore in the canoe afterwards and while doing so turned around to see this lovely cloud-scape over the white pines along the shore.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 18mm
ISO 200
f8 @ 1/25 sec.
Polarizer
Handheld from Canoe

Look forward to comments.

Don Railton
11-04-2015, 11:28 PM
Hi Andrew.

That is an incredibly busy sky..! It sort of steals the scene really...which bugs me a little as my eye keeps getting drawn upwards. Nice and sharp, especially since its from a canoe..

DON

Rachel Hollander
11-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Hi Andrew - I actually really like the cloud and would emphasize it more with a crop from the bottom along these lines. If it were mine I would back off the sharpening of the trees slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
11-07-2015, 12:00 PM
I am just the opposite of Rachel as I want more reflection.....

Don Lacy
11-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Hi Andrew, lovely sky Inlike Rachael's crop and could also see a crop from the top also

Andrew McLachlan
11-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Thanks folks for the comments and crop suggestions. I have several variations of this scene...some with more reflection and some with less...I chose this one to process first for the clean bottom edge as there was a break in the lily pads to allow only a watery bottom edge...will re-visit some of the alternate comps and try to post one later this week.

Diane Miller
11-11-2015, 03:16 PM
For me, the OP would be hard to improve on. There is enough water at the bottom to give a clean edge and to echo the lovely sky, and the sky is interesting enough to justify the room given to it.

I would consider a gradient burn from the top to balance the darker FG a little.