PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Nights

Morkel Erasmus
11-02-2015, 02:58 PM
It's safe to say I haven't had much of a chance to shoot cityscapes at night. South African cities just aren't that impressive when it comes to skyline - but Hong Kong was another ballgame! I can't say I'll give up photographing out in the wilds for shooting in the concrete jungle often, but it was nice getting to try my hand at this.

Plus it was a tad crowded from this viewpoint...(let's just say if you want to be alone at a shooting spot, Victoria Peak viewing tower is not the place to be :Whoa!:).

Anyway, what do you think? Certainly not a unique view of the city - but I like what the clouds did for me.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 @ 27mm
RedGed tripod and ballhead
f16 | 15 seconds | ISO-200

Don Lacy
11-02-2015, 03:56 PM
I really like it the image has a nice flow to the composition and the clouds at a sense of movement and time.

Don Railton
11-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Hi Morkel..

Glad to see you out of your comfort zone..:t3 I have a different view to Don L, as I prefer this without the cloud and would have cropped this just below the bright cloud if it were mine. The buildings for me provide enough detail to maintain interest, I feel the cloud is a distraction. I do think you shot a little late however (and maybe you had no choice..) as the black FG would have had more detail if shot earlier.. But do I like it , yes, most definately...

DON

Rachel Hollander
11-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Hi Morkel - It can be fun shooting the lights of a city and I don't do enough of it given that I live in one of the most recognizable skylines in the world. Now that it gets darker earlier maybe I'll experiment a bit. I find myself wanting a bit more at the bottom of the frame but not sure what was there. Also I find the movement/blur of the tops of the clouds distracting and would crop to just below the brightest area of the clouds.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
11-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Excellent Morkel, a terrific cityscape.
Captures the energy and action....

Andrew McLachlan
11-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Hi Morkel...a prefect city scape and the clouds add an interesting element to the night scene...my only complaint is that it is making me claustrophobic :bg3:

Gerhard Weldhagen
11-05-2015, 06:37 AM
Looks good to me, perspective is well controlled with he wide angle of view. The buildings at the edges lean slightly outward but its barely noticeble. Overall a very vibrant scene.

David Cowling
11-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Nice Work. The clouds are OK for me, I think they add extra interest. Interested to see that you didn't use the full 24mm, you may have been able to add a little more to the bottom of the image. Exposure well handled.

Morkel Erasmus
09-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Thanks folks - sorry for being late to reply here.
I couldn't get more in at the bottom - too much "railing" in there. I will experiment with versions without the clouds as well.