PDA

View Full Version : Theme Gnu Gauntlet

Morkel Erasmus
11-02-2015, 01:54 PM
I hope you are not tired of ny wildebeest crossing images yet?
Plenty more to come :t3

I thought this one fit the theme. I like playing around with slower shutter speeds in these crossings, as it helps convey the madness and frenzy a bit better for me.

Techs:
Nikon D810
Nikkor 400mm f2.8 VR-II
f22 | 1/30 SS | ISO-64

Gabriela Plesea
11-02-2015, 03:56 PM
There you go Morkel, you wet my appetite for the Mara again!

Crazy scene, intoxicating mayhem at the crossing... it all looks like an altar of sacrifice and the blur in places emphasises the brevity of the moment. One of those scenes that can awe an atheist like myself into belief without the help of an argument... I can just contemplate and wonder...wish I was here... well, I am now...thanks Buddy, this is so vivid and you gave me the experience, much appreciated:5

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
11-03-2015, 07:28 AM
Hi Morkel - Wow, it certainly conveys the total chaos. I imagine it is tough to pull off a slow ss, especially with others in the vehicle. Looks like there may have been some camera shake as the bank on the right seems soft too. Curious as to whether you have thoughts about what you might do differently, if anything, if you were trying this again?

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
11-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Hi Morkel -- Mixed feelings for this shot , Certainly conveys your thought process well , and the conversion makes this more intense but I am sure you could improve much upon this , feels like something is missing.
TFS !

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2015, 03:05 AM
Hi Morkel, works for me and I very much like the overall tonal range, good call on the techs. I think this is the location we talked about when we met? Nice one.

TFS
Steve

Nancy Bell
11-06-2015, 07:27 PM
I am a huge fan of using blurs to show motion. The wildebeest, splashing water and dust clouds are great. It's that big mass of ground & vegetation on the right that pulls the attention from the action. Maybe a crop from the right at the line between dark and light on that area, and to include the head of that wildebeest in the water?

Andreas Liedmann
11-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Hi Morkel this works so nice on all counts !!!!!!!
Very nice comp , tonal range and a well thought use of SS .
Really do like the conversion , well done :c3:.

TFS Andreas

Dvir Barkay
11-08-2015, 04:17 AM
Really cool shot and idea Morkel. Agree with Rachel that the bank is a little soft and somewhat indicative of camera shake, but it is not all that big of a deal for me. Really nice overall!

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Thanks folks.
Camera shake was unavoidable but I would say the sharp wildebeests in the middle make up for it?
I might crop some more from the RHS though, will look into it.