PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant - Female

Steve Kaluski
11-01-2015, 12:41 PM
This was taken whilst shooting the Little Owls one morning. With one camera in the direction of where I expected them to be, it allowed a free rein to expand on any other passing trade with the other camera and it wasn't long before this passing Pheasant appeared and so it was just a waiting time to ensure some good visibility.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) female, walking through tall grass, head only
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4 with 1.4x HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/9 ISO3200
Original format: Landscape, cropped for presentation
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.

Gabriela Plesea
11-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Amazing detail, well framed/composed, lovely detail, colours, and the BG is superb.

"Exposure: 1/2000s at f/9 ISO3200" :cheers:

Warmest regards,

Joseph Przybyla
11-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Beautiful Pheasant... I echo Gabriela's comments. Thank you for sharing, Steve.

stuart wanuck
11-01-2015, 05:36 PM
well done sharp

Daniel Cadieux
11-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Nice and sharp, excellent background with some very appealing subtle streaks and patterns within. The square crop works remarkably well.

Lorant Voros
11-01-2015, 11:02 PM
I love to see a common bird in a nice presentation. Super details, nice crop choice and sweet BG. Well done.

Steve Kaluski
11-02-2015, 03:57 AM
Thanks folks, you never can just have a few zzzzz's when it's quiet, you just never know :S3:.

The square crop works remarkably well.

Just wasn't sure how to crop Dan with the position of the subject in the frame - so glad you liked it.

Jonathan Ashton
11-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Steve it's a gem - wonderful details and colours and a complimentary background.

Steve Kaluski
11-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Cheers Jon, would prefer it to have been the male, but hey... :bg3:

Jonathan Ashton
11-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Cheers Jon, would prefer it to have been the male, but hey... :bg3:
Steve I think no point fixing things if they ain't broke; the image quality is really good... but just how good would it have been at say 1/1000sec @ f8... just wondering - sounds a bit mouth watering??

Steve Kaluski
11-02-2015, 10:12 AM
At 1/1000 Jon I'm not sure if that would have been sufficient, as you know how these move, an almost a jerky kind of walk. ISO would have come down, but not made too much on the IQ and being close you want DoF. With the digital age a higher SS IMHO is the right direction, but without going over board.

William Dickson
11-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Pretty neat Steve. The detail on the bird look perfect and what a great looking BG. Love the eye.

Will

Sidharth Kodikal
11-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Incredible details and IQ, Steve. For this ISO, the quality is just remarkable. I'm really enjoying the bit of detail in the BG too.
I'm personally not a big fan of square crops, so would come in from the left, but this is entirely a personal preference.
This IQ is making me want to spring for a 1DX!!