PDA

View Full Version : Root Canal..

Andre Pretorius
10-31-2015, 12:48 PM
We were with two docile old bulls feeding in the fading afternoon light, near Shimuweni in Kruger.
It was very dry, surface water was absent in the area.
They were pushing trees over, breaking off and feeding on the freshly unearthed roots for much needed moisture.
Light was at premium:t3, over cast and late afternoon..

Techs

Nikon D3S with 300f2,8

1/800 @ F5

ISO 5600

Gimbal on camrack

0EV

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-01-2015, 02:04 AM
Very nice image with great title! Live the comp and the details inspire of the high ISO. Nicely processed too Andre. TFS.

Steve Kaluski
11-01-2015, 03:41 AM
details inspire of the high ISO
Exactly Sanjeev!!! :cheers:

All looking good Andre, love that trunk, but just watch the eyes if you have tweaked them???

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
11-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Hi Andre - I like the framing and you've brought out some nice detail. The image seems a bit grittier than your usual posts. I'm not sure if that is a function of the pp or the high ISO.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
11-02-2015, 04:41 AM
Hi Andre -- I agree with Sanjeev and Steve , that the details are good inspite of a high iso , the framing does work well and nice choice of dof. Nicely done.TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
11-02-2015, 05:45 AM
Great framing and moment, Andre.
Agree, great details at high ISO, albeit a tad gritty - where do you apply NR, if any?
Like the monochrome look&feel of this, even though it's in colour.

Andre Pretorius
11-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Thank you all for comments!:bg3:

I am playing with deconvolution sharpening- applying it MY way, with no input sharpening of the Raw file in the Raw Converter (LR in my case).
Re-read an older article from Roger Clark, experimenting with different ways to find which works the best.
I chose this one to see the effect with higher ISO..( Rachel's comment...:2eyes2:)

Glad you liked the title, Sanjeev!

Steve, I did lighten the eyes a bit (to see better!!), is it too much?
The root was only treated with a D&B layer.
I have found that one must have a very light hand when applying any form of contrast to a High ISO image--very easily turns "gritty".

Thank you Hasseb!

Morkel, I almost never do NR, just selective sharpening- input and after resizing, just before saving for web. If the BG/FG fills a major part of image and noise is very obvious, then bit of NR with masked layer.
BTW, the image was a bit tight on bottom, used Canvas Stretch with Content aware fill (you suggested it to Haseeb with his Deer kicking). Various ways, I learned from Mr Google, but not so easy when Subject almost fill frame..
(had some tries showing an elephant with long face..) Any suggestions?

Me too, liked that effect!

Andreas Liedmann
11-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Hi Buthi ,
i like the tight framing and the feeding head on view .
Overall nice tone and color .....lovely detail you have extracted .

Good to see you playing , i played myself too after yesterdays chat ........
i can see the decon effect too strong for my taste ..... maybe i am wrong .
For me the blacks are a tiny bit too strong and you have some grittiness introduced , not comparable with your recent Hyena posting which i liked more from the pure technical POV , and in the Hyena image you have not used the Pic.... plus ? right ?

I will just ring you in minute for more clarification .

TFS Andreas