Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/1250
Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1 1/3
ISO Speed 3200
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +2x
Focal Length 1000.0mm

Well they're back I have been the last three days but poor light and they are not coming in quite close enough - too many dog walkers! I was using the 1.4TCIII but was struggling for reach, this is a fairly large crop but hopefully will get better over the following weeks.
All C&C welcome.

Mike Poole
10-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Great to see they are back Jon, is this along the Dee estuary?

I think the IQ has held up remarkably well, I would never have guessed at those settings given the detail on the face, even more so if this is a significant crop. Ideally there would have been a little bit less of a head turn, but I do like the loose framing and the light coming through the wings.

Looking forward to some more

Mike

Jonathan Ashton
10-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Hi Mike - yes this is the Dee but further down, it is very near a pub called the Harp Inn which is in Lower Neston. ( Post code CH64 0TB) The birds are just to the south of the Old Quay.

Mike Poole
10-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Hi Mike - yes this is the Dee but further down, it is very near a pub called the Harp Inn which is in Lower Neston. ( Post code CH64 0TB) The birds are just to the south of the Old Quay.

Great, thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out if I get a day off with a decent forecast

gail bisson
10-30-2015, 01:39 PM
When I looked at the thumbnail I thought the owl was flying away from you so it was a nice surprise to open the image and see this.
Love the BG here, the big crop has caused a bit of posterization or 'ground glass" look to the BG but this can easily be fixed with a touch of gaussian blur.
Really like the wing position and where you placed the owl in the frame.
I do wish for a bit less or a bit more of a head turn ( to either fully see the eye or not see it at all) but still a really nice shot.
Gail

Karl Egressy
10-30-2015, 06:16 PM
Nice flight shot against beautiful background, Jon.

Steve Kaluski
10-31-2015, 03:31 AM
Hi Jon, sweet light and I really love the soft, muted colours, but the light through the downward wing is exquisite, very nice indeed. Yes, having the head turn with a bit more to the left so both eyes are visible would have been nice, but very hard to achieve, so congrats on what you did get and hopefully this will be 'work in progress' and where you can hone things with more opportunities.

I would look at a higher SS for future captures and not worry about the ISO, don't let this hamper you captures as you have the camera to achieve it.

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
10-31-2015, 04:25 AM
Looks like it's just spotted you Jon, very well caught.

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2015, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Using the 2x TC doesn't make for quick and easy focusing but it gave a bit more reach. I was torn over the SS because I usually go for 1/1600 or faster with that focal length but knowing I had to crop significantly I went for a slower SS... and I was using a tripod. I had previously been hand holding but sometimes you can be tracking continually for a minute or so and it doesn't make for the steadiest set up!

Steve Kaluski
10-31-2015, 07:00 AM
Remember to switch off the IS Jon, however if you are HH, try switching off the IS again.

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2015, 07:03 AM
Remember to switch off the IS Jon, however if you are HH, try switching off the IS again.
A lot of people think AF acquisition is quicker without IS - right?

Steve Kaluski
10-31-2015, 07:07 AM
Yep, try it :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2015, 07:16 AM
I have and I did!:w3 trouble is I often forget to turn off once it is on.