PDA

View Full Version : Theme Antlers for Rachel

Mike Poole
10-29-2015, 04:06 PM

My final stag shot for the theme. I wanted to get a simple antlers only shot, but never really got the angle I wanted with a nice BG, but as Rachel suggested this type of shot I cropped in a little on one of my looser shots just to see how it looked.

Not one for the wall, but for me, having a theme makes me think of shooting in different ways to normal (thanks mods!)

Mike

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Hi Mike - Thanks. The themes are all about getting us all to think about how we shoot and to experiment a bit whether in the field or in pp. I was actually thinking more of a side-on view to get some of the depth but this works too. It is a tough shot and one I have not pulled off to my satisfaction either. The green bg sets them off nicely and you have brought out nice detail.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Hi Mike, I think the green provides a nice backdrop for the rack, however being more head on where there would be symmetry I feel would have added to the overall composition. Just watch the whites, they appear a little bright, adding some Midtone with a Channel Curve adjustment will bring more depth and detail back into the rack.

TFS
Steve

PS can you add the techs please.

haseeb badar
10-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Hi Mike -- nice attempt here , with good details in the rack , as the above comments suggest the green BG sets them off nicely , but grain has crept in . is that a big crop ?
TFS !

Mike Poole
10-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Hi Mike - Thanks. The themes are all about getting us all to think about how we shoot and to experiment a bit whether in the field or in pp. I was actually thinking more of a side-on view to get some of the depth but this works too. It is a tough shot and one I have not pulled off to my satisfaction either. The green bg sets them off nicely and you have brought out nice detail.

TFS,
Rachel

Thanks Rachel. I did go for the side on shots, and have lots of examples, but the problem I had was depth of field. I could get one antler sharp but not the other. Thinking cap needs to go back on!

Mike

Mike Poole
10-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Hi Mike -- nice attempt here , with good details in the rack , as the above comments suggest the green BG sets them off nicely , but grain has crept in . is that a big crop ?
TFS !

Thanks Haseeb, it was about 50% so too big for a serious shot really, but I didn't do any NR on the BG - I've done a RP below with some RP

Mike

Mike Poole
10-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Hi Mike, I think the green provides a nice backdrop for the rack, however being more head on where there would be symmetry I feel would have added to the overall composition. Just watch the whites, they appear a little bright, adding some Midtone with a Channel Curve adjustment will bring more depth and detail back into the rack.

TFS
Steve

PS can you add the techs please.

Thanks Steve - I'm far off a PP expert (although being on here certainly helps), so please could you explain your comments about the mid tones and the channel curve in layman's terms for me. I did a RP with a slight curves adjustment and some NR a la Haseeb but not sure if it has the effect you suggested.

Techs wise -

Canon 5d3
500mm f4 is with 1.4x ii
ISO 2500
1/400th f7.1

Mike

Morkel Erasmus
11-02-2015, 05:57 AM
Nice rack-close-up here Mike.
The IQ of the OP suffered a bit, but your RP looks much better, particularly the background!
Well done.