PDA

View Full Version : My First Hudsonian Godwit.

Daniel Cadieux
10-28-2015, 04:52 AM
I had never even laid eyes on a Hudsonian Godwit before as they are very uncommon here, so when a local photographer told me about one, and that it was still present at that location, it was time for me to go try my luck with it. At first it was shy and a little bit wary, but soon became comfortable with our presence. It turned out to be a fun and productive session!

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2000s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, small crop after rotation, an odd growth bump on the bill was removed as it was much too prominent from this angle, darkened the pupil and removed a second catchlight that was large oddly shaped.

Karl Egressy
10-28-2015, 07:19 AM
Great shot, Daniel. Love the low angle and the pose.

Bill Dix
10-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Congratulations! Not only did you get your lifer, but you caught him in a gorgeous setting, with beautiful light, great detail and your usual low POV. Certainly the best Hudwit image I've ever seen.

Ross Taylor
10-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Hi Daniel,

Love the sheen of the foreground, simplicity of the background, and the lifted foot dragging vegetation. Great colors and detail on the bird. I was wondering about that bump on the bill in my shots of this bird. It looks better with a little cosmetic surgery ;). A little detail I like is the slight hint of vegetation in the water and how you placed it in the frame, with equal clear space on each side.

Wonderful shot Daniel!
Ross

stuart wanuck
10-28-2015, 03:32 PM
daniel great capture love the eye level and bg!

Grace Scalzo
10-28-2015, 04:18 PM
What a nice image. Always great when a rare bird presents some nice opportunities. Digging real deep to come up with a suggestion for improvement, I would suggest filling in the gold color top left corner. Love the remnants of breeding colors. Well done, as always.

Jim Crosswell
10-28-2015, 06:08 PM
A real beauty Daniel! I like the walking pose, low angle, IQ, composition and BG color makes it even better.

Lorant Voros
10-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Congrats for the new bird. Very nice low shooting angle, DOF, walking pose and I love the little green part dragged by the feet. Well done, Dan.