PDA

View Full Version : American Pipit (Anthus rubescens)

Bill Dix
10-26-2015, 10:28 AM
For some reason this species is referred to as Buff-bellied Pipit in the IOU taxonomy. After seeing reports of a flock of these guys visiting a manure pile 45 minutes from here over the last few days, and having a cooperative forecast on Saturday, we decided to give it a go. A lifer for me, even though it is relatively common in the west. We found the manure pile (actually several aromatic piles) in question, and a large flock of birders. But initially no pipits. Patience paid off, the birders departed, and a single pipit arrived, then left, then showed up again with a few friends. Over the course of the morning one or more would make a brief visit, leave and return. Mostly, they were on the more distant of the piles, and were camouflaged against the texture of the pile. During the 3-1/2 hours that we waited, only once did this fellow visit the nearest of the piles, and make his way to the top for a clean background. He likes to pump his tail, so only a few frames show him with his tail clear of the pile. I do have a few frames with a head turn more in my direction, but I prefer this one where the light is falling nicely on the side of his face.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 800, 1/2500s @ f/6.3 manual.

Ross Taylor
10-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Hi Bill,

Congrats on the lifer :). The photo has a great background. Heck, the foreground is not so bad either, for a manure pile ;). Bird pose and composition are great, HA noted as mentioned.

The feather sticking up from the ground with a black spot on it ( under the tail), drew my eye. It could be a candidate for eviction ;)

Thanks for sharing this lovely shot Bill,
Ross

John Robinson
10-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Hi Bill
Lovely clean Pipit pic with a good BG. We haven't got many but so and so's to ID !
Cheers
JohnR

Geoffrey Montagu
10-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Excellent capture of this beauty as it arrived at the top of the mound, Bill. You managed nicely to get the bobbing tail clear, and a nice angle showing the breast and back of the bird. Like the detail in the subtle colors. Well done.

Congratulations on the lifer.

Geoffrey

Bill Dix
10-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Thank you Ross, John and Geoffrey. Ross, as I noted above, I have another frame with a better HA, and on that one I did evict the feather in question. It did help, so perhaps I should revisit this one and do the same. Thanks for the suggestion.