PDA

View Full Version : Elk On the Run

Dvir Barkay
10-25-2015, 09:05 PM

A bit of an experiment, and I am still working on the long shutter speed style, I am sure I will master it soon enough. I had one shot at getting running elks, wish one was a male, but you can only take what you have. I tried to get a painterly (an impressionist like texture like a Claude Monet painting) so chose a 1/15s shutter speed. I know it is not perfect, but it reminds me of cave paintings a little, interested in ideas.

1DX, Canon 300/2.8 IS with x1.4TC, 1/15s, F/16, ISO 100, a bit of a crop.

haseeb badar
10-26-2015, 03:12 AM
Hi Dvir -- A nice attempt and actually i liked it . Gives it a feel of work on a canvas .

Another way around is to boost the iso to very high levels to get the grains in it and stop the aperture to balance the slow SS , sometimes the grains provide a nice texture to the image .
A slight cw rotation is needed i guess .
TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
10-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Sure won't be everyone's taste, Dvir. I like how it came out, especially with the circular patterns of the surrounding foliage.
For some the antelope won't be sharp enough to work, and that's fine. These images are about experimenting, expanding your creativity and breaking the little boxes we build for ourselves in this genre.
Keep it up.
To isolate the elks a tad more you could add some midtone contrast and structure/clarity selectively?

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Hi Dvir, I like the almost 'illustrative' look and feel and the environment works well to provide texture & tone. The slow panning works, but I would like to have seen the heads sharp with the rest blur. It can be done, but a juggling act with the techs. Exploring like this is fun and a great way to learn too.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Hi Dvir - Always good to experiment and learn. I like the blurred sage. I just wish a bit more of the elk was visible and probably would prefer if the heads were sharper. Keep panning.

TFS,
Rachel

Mike Poole
10-27-2015, 12:08 PM
It's certainly got potential - I think if, as others have said, you keep trying you'll end up with some good results.

Mike

Gabriela Plesea
10-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Hello Dvir,

Funny that you mention Monet, I had the same thought when I opened this thumbnail:)

It's always great to see something fresh and different, so I thank you for getting creative with blur. Love the colours and textures as well as movement in this frame. Very abstract and I enjoyed this "painting" effect!

I too seek a bit more sharpness on the antelopes, still a wonderful experiment and I am sure that with more practice you'll get the result you desire:w3 Keep them coming please!

Kind regards,