PDA

View Full Version : Theme Kittiwake - (funky perspective)

Steve Kaluski
10-25-2015, 11:48 AM
One of my most favourite locations to shoot in - Svalbard. At times it can be challenging in terms of both light, but also, from where you are shooting from. This time I decided to go about a month earlier, compared to previous times and this provided almost 24hr sun, with some incredible weather patterns too. This was taken from the very bow of the ship, she's small, but perfectly formed, which means often we can go where others cannot and built in 1952 she is fantastic.

Just before leaving I was speaking to Rachel about some new kit to take i.e. 11-24, but went for the 8-15f/4 Fisheye which proved to be, I think, quite neat and it provided a a bit more fun and perspective. As the ship moved through the pack ice it disturbed all the small fry and so the Kittiwakes and other Gulls descended for a free meal. The perspective is quite deceiving as these Gulls were only a meter or so away, so I guess this is more of a 'birdscape' :S3:.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image guys.

Steve

Subject: Kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla) flying over pack ice
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 8-15mm Fisheye f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/3200s at f/9 ISO800 (Revo SMC CP filter)
Original format: Landscape
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

William Dickson
10-25-2015, 01:13 PM
You've captured the moment bigstyle Steve. Plenty to look at, and all very interesting. I would love to do that :S3: Thats a winner. Thanks for sharing

Will

Karl Egressy
10-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Quite unique image Steve, and I love it very much.

Don Lacy
10-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Steve, Wonderful image often the fisheye images can look gimmicky but here you used the distortion to great effect.

Gabriela Plesea
10-25-2015, 03:19 PM
I have always wanted a FishEye!!!

I like this very much, Steve. I also like your experimenting - you never get tired of trying new things and it pays off. You are never afraid, never bored, never boring...You try new things, experiment, change lenses, change style, you even change your workflow from time to time:w3

This is more than "neat", LOL. Not a mere bird, but "the bird and its world", and what a beautiful world it is! Wonderful to see the environment here, the colours, and just a different perspective. Thank you for sharing, probably the last image I am viewing tonight as I am on my way to bed now, hope to dream of blue oceans and hopefully possess - even though temporarily - the beauty of faraway places I only get to see on my computer screen.

Warmest regards,

Daniel Cadieux
10-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Wow, lots to study here, and in a good way. Kudos for trying the fisheye here, the image is a winner in my books, even if the main bird has just passed you.

Dvir Barkay
10-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Really cool shot! If only he was flying at you it would have been a competition style of image/

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2015, 03:04 AM
Cheers folks glad you like it.

As I've mentioned before, this year has been about pushing, exploring or trying something new, occasionally slipping out of those 'comfy' slippers and looking at things differently, although we never do redesign the wheel, only tweak it a fraction. The FE was really more for fun and being a bit funky as I said, and putting a spin or twist on an existing vision, how many times can we shoot the same image in the same format and style?

I would love to do that

Will if you ever decided or want info let me know, but start saving now!!! If I knew I could compile a very small group then I would have no hesitation, as there would be one Ornithologist/Naturalist & Explorer Guide on board too to bolster the trip along with a full crew, you would love it as it's not just shooting, but ultimately the dynamics of the group would be awesome :bg3: .

Steve, Wonderful image often the fisheye images can look gimmicky but here you used the distortion to great effect.
Hi Don, very much appreciate the kind words :wave:

Hi Gabriela, compared to the majority of images posted here in this Forum, this is more about the environment they are in, (as the subject is very small) and putting a twist on the capture, hence 'Birdscape'. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't, but the 'whole' process of this medium is a constant 'evolving' one, whether it's in camera technique, PP or just how we use our kit to create the effect, or wish to interpret/portray the subject. You know what I will be posting at some point here, Dan hasn't, but again, it's just about pushing both boundaries of shooting and using PP to 'create' the image and ultimately presenting something new, albeit we have seen everything 1000's of times before.

the image is a winner in my books, even if the main bird has just passed you.

Yep agree with that Dan, food for thought next time, that's what I mean as per my comment earlier, this is a constantly 'evolving' process where we hone and hone things and comments/feedback are helpful and so you remember them for that next shot.

If only he was flying at you it would have been a competition style of image

LOL Dvir the subject would need to be really close, almost on top of me, but certainly would be a cool capture.

Dvir Barkay
10-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Yes! Then you could call it Attack of the Kittiwake.

Bill Dix
10-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Very intriguing image. Congratulations for trying something different (again). And for reinforcing my desire to go to Svalbard.

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2015, 10:39 AM
Guys, after a few hours of head scratching this morning after a comment was made on a Polar Bear image, this is what the image should have looked like.

Bill, it is breathtaking and you would love it, plenty of Avian to wet your appetite, I'll post a few Landscapes too in due course, however I need now to revisit and amend the recently processed files it appears now! :eek3:

Joseph Przybyla
10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Very different, I love it. I looks like a portion of small blue marble earth with birds flying above it. Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Rachel Hollander
10-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Steve - Much better! Glad you solved the issue.:5 The fisheye gave a really interesting "top of the world" look to the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Cheers Joe & Rachel.

The fisheye gave a really interesting "top of the world" look to the image

Funny you say that, now where my thinking was goings on this was - The ice being broken was the planet (land) with the surrounding water, the use of the FE provided the sphere look with the gulls flying over - am I going mad???? :Whoa!:

Rachel Hollander
10-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Funny you say that, now where my thinking was goings on this was - The ice being broken was the planet (land) with the surrounding water, the use of the FE provided the sphere look with the gulls flying over - am I going mad???? :Whoa!:

If you are then I'm right there with you!

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Cool, just did not want to say it prior, as I was interested to see if anyone else might get the thinking, I'll keep taking the meds LOL.

Marina Scarr
10-26-2015, 06:11 PM
There is a lot to think about in this unique image. The fisheye lens truly opened up this world to the viewer. I only wish the subject bird hadn't passed you and, in this case, that it weren't in the middle of the frame. That said, I still find it a powerful/strong image.

Stu Bowie
10-27-2015, 03:02 AM
Hi Steve, this is simply incredible to view, and big congrats on your 'planning' to achieve this result. You even managed a great flight pose from the nearer gull. :cheers:

Steve Kaluski
10-27-2015, 05:03 AM
Thanks again folks, Stu, I'm hoping you can get me in 'tight' with one of you Kalahari male lions with this lens next year, WDYT?

David Salem
10-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Very cool Steve. I like the top of the world look. Looks especially neat because of the ice. Well seen and captured.